1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Card Hand probabilities: Discrete Math

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the following you are given a 5-card hand from a 52 card deck.
    a) given that you have at least one ace, what is the probability you have at least 2 aces?
    b) given that you have the ace of diamonds, what is the probability that you have another ace?
    c) given that you have a red ace, what is the probability you have another ace?
    d) Suppose you select a card from your hand at random and it is an ace. What is the probability you have another ace.

2. Relevant equations
    pr(not a) = 1 - pr(a)
    pr(A given B) = Pr(A and B) / Pr(B)

3. The attempt at a solution

C(X,Y) is X choose Y here.

Pr(A): The chance of drawing AT LEAST one Ace is 1 - C(48,5)/C(52,5) =~ .6588

Pr(B): The probability of having at least 2 aces: ?
    Pr(A and B): ?

pr(C): That you have the ace of diamonds in a 5 card hand is 1-C(51,5)/C(52,5) =~ .096
    Pr(C and B):?

pr(D): That you have at least one red ace in a 5 card hand: 1-C(50,5)/C(52,5) =~ .1848
    (im not sure if i want the probability of having exactly 1 red ace, or at least one)
    Pr(D and B):?

Finding all of the "?" probabilities should allow me to calculate problems a-c, but i really dont know how to find PR(X AND Y) with these problems, nor do I know how to get the probability of having at least two aces.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2009 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Probability of having at least two aces...
    Hmmm...
    You can calculate the probability of having exactly 4 aces + exactly 3 aces + exactly 2 aces.

Pr(4) = C(4,4)C(48,1)/C(52,5)
    Pr(3) = C(4,3)C(48,2)/C(52,5)
    Pr(2) = C(4,2)C(48,3)/C(52,5)
    Add 'em up.

4. Feb 25, 2009 #3
    Thanks, that makes sense.

How do you go about getting the probability of the union though?

5. Feb 25, 2009 #4

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since you are enumerating distinct hands (no hand with exactly 2 aces is a hand with exactly one ace) you can simply add the probabilities.
    Pr(x>1)= Pr(x=2) + Pr(x=3) + Pr(x=4).

6. Feb 25, 2009 #5
    what about pr(1 ace red AND at least 2 aces) one is not necessarily in the other in this case, same with 1 ace diamond

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook