1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cardinality of a subset of [0,1]

1. Aug 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the cardinality of the set of all numbers in the interval [0, 1] which
    have decimal expansions with a finite number of non-zero digits?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I say its still c? Am I correct, there is no way I can pair this set with the natural numbers.

Define
    f(1) = 0.1
    f(2) = 0.02
    f(3) = 0.003
    f(4) = 0.0004
    But then we must pair elements of N to 0.2, 0.3, 0.4... and 0.03, 0.04, 0.05, and 0.004, 0.005,...

This seems weak though no?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Your set is a subset of ##\mathbb{Q}##, isn't it?

4. Aug 5, 2013 #3

verty

Homework Helper

@Ribbon: Your argument doesn't make any sense to me. You seem to be arguing that there are a countable number of sets equinumerous with the naturals. Is this what you are doing and what are you trying to achieve by it?

5. Aug 5, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi ribbon! :smile:
    hint: can you pair the set of all numbers with two non-zero digits with the natural numbers? :wink:

6. Aug 5, 2013 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, your argument doesn't work. All you've shown is that you failed at your first attempt at finding a bijection between N and the set. Perhaps if you were more clever, you could find such a bijection.

7. Aug 5, 2013 #6
    Could I go,
    f(1) = 0.11
    f(2) = 0.12
    f(3) = 0.13

and skip numbers like 0.2, 0.3? But then what happens to all the numbers in between I'm missing?

8. Aug 5, 2013 #7
    It seems so, but the unit interval has cardinality c and at first glance it appeared to me that we were excluding a finite set from an infinite one, and if I am not mistaken with cardinal arithmetic, c would remain the cardinality. But it seems to be otherwise now.

9. Aug 5, 2013 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hey Tiny, what happened to your fish avatar? Did he try to swim through a screen?

10. Aug 5, 2013 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

but you're not even trying to count any numbers with more than 2 decimal places! :rolleyes:

try again, but with binary numbers (instead of decimals), it's easier :smile:
    it wasn't a proper underwater camera! :redface:

11. Aug 5, 2013 #10
    Hmm, ok well could the sequence be 0.1, 0.101, 0.010101... till I hit that n (n being the finite number of non zero digits?

12. Aug 6, 2013 #11

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, have you just walked away from the thread where we were discussing that topic?

13. Aug 6, 2013 #12

pasmith

Homework Helper

Your set is infinite: if [itex]x[/itex] is in that set, then so is [itex]10^{-n}x[/itex] for all [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. Adding any number of zeroes to the beginning of the decimal expansion does not change the number of non-zero digits in the expansion.

14. Aug 6, 2013 #13

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You do not recognize this as the subset of all rational numbers whose denominators have only powers of 2 and powers of 5 as factors? If [tex]x= 0.a_1a_2\cdot\cdot\cdot a_n[/tex] has only "n" non-zero digits, then [tex]10^nx= a_1a_2\cdot\cdot\cdot a_n[/tex] and, finally, [tex]x= \frac{a_1a_2\cdot\cdot\cdot a_n}{10^n}[/tex]. You may be able to do a lot of "cancelling" to reduce the denominator but 10= 2(5) so there will never be any factors other than "5" or "2" in the denominator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted