1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that two intervals have the same cardinality ?

1. Jan 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to show that [0,1] and [0,2] have the same cardinality by giving a formula for a function that is bijective. Aren't there a number of functions that can fit this description? Can I then use any one? I'm a little confused, my teacher didn't really elaborate much upon this. Is there a specific formula to find the function, not only in this case, but generally?

Edit: I have used y=f(x)=2x, I'm guessing this process is pretty systematic when dealing with such intervals?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

You can use any bijection. f(x) = 2x is fine. So is a non-linear one like f(x) = x(3-x), which is bijective over [0,1]. It's your choice. But the former has the advantage of being immediately and intuitively obvious.

4. Jan 16, 2012 #3
    There's definitely no "formula" here. Intuition and experience are your best friends when seeking for Bijections.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook