Career advice with no technical skills

In summary, the individual has a bachelor's degree from a college outside of the US and is now living in NYC. They were interested in mechanical engineering but the college they attended did not teach them any technical skills and they lost interest, resulting in a 2.6 GPA. They are now looking for non-technical paths and job agencies or companies to apply to. The conversation also touched on the importance of hands-on skills in the engineering field and the potential for engineering positions at a large water utility. The individual also inquired about the requirements for working in the US, specifically regarding FE and EIT certifications. The expert suggests that while these certifications are not required, a PE certificate can be beneficial for leadership positions and credibility.
ddglom
I recently got a bachelors degree from out of US, and now i live in NYC. Even though i was extremely interested in mechanical engineering, the collage that i attended was not that great, and didn't teach me any technical skills. So i lost interest in school and only Got passing grades (2.6 GPA). I would like to know if there are any non technical paths that i can take. and if anyone knows of any job agencies or companies i can apply to.

Physics news on Phys.org
ddglom said:
the collage that i attended was not that great...
No kidding.:wink:

You might need to get a little more specific than simply saying "non-technical" in terms of what you're looking for. Do you still want to stay in the engineering field? What are your strengths and passions? What kind of experience do you have? What skills have you picked up along the way?

Likes Ben Espen
Choppy said:
No kidding.:wink:

You might need to get a little more specific than simply saying "non-technical" in terms of what you're looking for. Do you still want to stay in the engineering field? What are your strengths and passions? What kind of experience do you have? What skills have you picked up along the way?
I want to move towards marketing or finance side. I only have sales experience. and right now i am working as a administrative assistant. Would you recommend geting a MBA

Educational institutions are not usually good places to learn skills. They teach theory. If you wanted technical skills, you should have gone to a trade school. They'll teach skills with very little technical theory there.

Over the years I met many Electrical Engineers who barely knew which end of a soldering iron to pick up. They didn't know how to trigger an oscilloscope, nor did they have any understanding of the losses incurred by impedance mismatches.

Like I said, you don't learn these things in school. So you're going in as a raw newbie. Don't worry. Most workplaces know this. Only the HR people have any delusions that you know something that you don't. I'd strongly advise you not to dispel those delusions. Just point out that you graduated. That's really all they care about.

Likes billy_joule and Boolean Boogey
JakeBrodskyPE said:
Educational institutions are not usually good places to learn skills. They teach theory. If you wanted technical skills, you should have gone to a trade school. They'll teach skills with very little technical theory there.

Over the years I met many Electrical Engineers who barely knew which end of a soldering iron to pick up. They didn't know how to trigger an oscilloscope, nor did they have any understanding of the losses incurred by impedance mismatches.

Like I said, you don't learn these things in school. So you're going in as a raw newbie. Don't worry. Most workplaces know this. Only the HR people have any delusions that you know something that you don't. I'd strongly advise you not to dispel those delusions. Just point out that you graduated. That's really all they care about.
What do you think would be good place to start?

It depends upon what you'd like to do. Personally, I'm biased because I have built a very nice career at a large water utility. I found it to be surprisingly fun, interesting, meaningful work. I really enjoy working on that virtually invisible critical infrastructure that makes city life possible.

There are often positions open for brand new engineers like you. Don't worry, they know they'll have to train you because frankly there are no schools where you learn to work on scales that large, except on the job.

There are also trade organizations where you can learn about such things. Examples include the International Society for Automation (ISA), The American Water-Works Association, and others. They have Young Professional networks in these organizations for bringing new engineers into the fold.

But that's just my bias. As anyone else, and I'm sure you'll get a different answer.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
It depends upon what you'd like to do. Personally, I'm biased because I have built a very nice career at a large water utility. I found it to be surprisingly fun, interesting, meaningful work. I really enjoy working on that virtually invisible critical infrastructure that makes city life possible.

There are often positions open for brand new engineers like you. Don't worry, they know they'll have to train you because frankly there are no schools where you learn to work on scales that large, except on the job.

There are also trade organizations where you can learn about such things. Examples include the International Society for Automation (ISA), The American Water-Works Association, and others. They have Young Professional networks in these organizations for bringing new engineers into the fold.

But that's just my bias. As anyone else, and I'm sure you'll get a different answer.
That was helpful, thank you. Is a FE or a EIT required to work in the US?

My engineering program does not teach hands on skills. For example I learned all I know about designing, installing (wiring), testing, and finally turning on controllers from my current employer.

Engineering Technology degrees teach more hands on skills and less theory, real Engineering degrees teach theory. I didn't get an EET degree because I am already qualified to do the job of a technologist...

ddglom said:
That was helpful, thank you. Is a FE or a EIT required to work in the US?
No, it is not required. However, if you are eager to take a position of leadership, or if you're looking for a bit more credibility to match your real experience, a PE certificate is a big plus.

1. What career options are available for someone without technical skills?

There are many career options available for individuals without technical skills. Some examples include sales, marketing, human resources, customer service, and administrative roles. These careers do not require specific technical knowledge or expertise, but instead focus on skills such as communication, organization, and problem-solving.

2. How can I improve my chances of success in a non-technical career?

One way to improve your chances of success in a non-technical career is to develop and highlight transferable skills. These are skills that can be applied to a variety of industries and job roles, such as communication, teamwork, and time management. You can also consider gaining relevant experience through internships or volunteering, and continuously learning and upskilling in areas that interest you.

3. Are there any industries that are more welcoming to individuals without technical skills?

Yes, there are several industries that are known for being more open to individuals without technical skills. These include healthcare, education, hospitality, and the non-profit sector. These industries often require a diverse range of roles and skills, making them more accessible to those without technical expertise.

4. Is it possible to transition from a technical career to a non-technical one?

Yes, it is possible to transition from a technical career to a non-technical one. While it may require some additional training or education, many technical skills are transferable to other industries. Additionally, highlighting transferable skills and relevant experience can make this transition smoother.

5. Are there any resources available for individuals seeking non-technical careers?

Yes, there are plenty of resources available for individuals seeking non-technical careers. These include career counseling services, job search websites, networking events, and professional development workshops. It can also be helpful to reach out to professionals in your desired industry for informational interviews or mentorship opportunities.