Career and job search (teaching or engineering work)

In summary: Are you a US citizen? * Do you have any teaching experience? * Are you certified in any subject? * Do you have experience with technology? * What kind of technology? * Have you ever been involved in a project that required critical thinking? In summary, the first thing you should do is apply to the company's job portal where you can find relevant jobs according to your needs. Then, you can try LinkedIn, CareerBuilder, YoursVacancy, and Monster.com.
stevejames09
Hello I am new here lived in New York with my 2 kids and looking for a teaching job. I applied online but can't get response from them. I have received an email yesterday stated that they are going to give me an opportunity an engineering firm. They want me to fill a form with my all details including my bank details etc. Should I trust them and provide all info without any interview.

Physics news on Phys.org
stevejames09 said:
Hello I am new here lived in New York with my 2 kids and looking for a teaching job. I applied online but can't get response from them. I have received an email yesterday stated that they are going to give me an opportunity an engineering firm. They want me to fill a form with my all details including my bank details etc. Should I trust them and provide all info without any interview.
<<Emphasis added.>> Is the second "they" (engineering job) totally unrelated to the first (teaching job), or are they the same (e.g., the same recruitment agency handling both)? Regardless, the only personal information you should be providing on a job application form is name, address, phone, and email (along with educational and work experience, of course). No social security numbers, no bank accounts, no credit card accounts, no income statements, ... Those are indicative of a scam.

Likes berkeman, stevejames09, russ_watters and 5 others
stevejames09 said:
They want me to fill a form with my all details including my bank details etc. Should I trust them and provide all info without any interview.
NO.

NO!

Likes StatGuy2000, analogdesign, berkeman and 2 others
Once you are hired they will need personal information in order to do tax withholding, paycheck direct deposit, insurance (maybe) etc. Until then, just leave those spaces blank. As @CrysPhys says, even having those on the "form" is kind of suspicious.

EDIT: ...says the guy who has worked for the same company for 40 years. I have no idea what is "normal" on an application these days.

Likes stevejames09
Thank you for responding to my thread and guiding me. I am also looking for engineering opportunity any regards how can I apply for engineering job.

Likes berkeman
stevejames09 said:
Thank you for responding to my thread and guiding me. I am also looking for engineering opportunity any regards how can I apply for engineering job.

You should apply to the companies job portal where you can find relevant jobs according to your needs. And you can also try these websites LinkedIn, CareerBuilder, YoursVacancy and Monster.com. You have to create a profile add or create your CV then apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
stevejames09 said:
More info about you would be needed for more useful guidance. So far, all we have is that you live in NY, have two kids, and are looking for a teaching or engineering job.

E.g.,
* Is it NY state or NY City? Do you need to stay put, or are you willing to relocate?
* What are your educational background and work experience so far?
* Any unusual circumstances (e.g., did you drop out of the work force for an extended period to raise a family and are now re-entering the work force)?

What skills are necessary for a career in teaching?

Some important skills for teaching include effective communication, organization, adaptability, patience, and subject knowledge. It is also important to have strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a passion for education and helping others learn.

What qualifications are needed to become a teacher?

The specific qualifications needed to become a teacher may vary depending on the location and type of school you wish to teach at. Generally, a bachelor's degree in education or a specific subject area is required, along with completing a teacher preparation program and obtaining a teaching license or certification. Some schools may also require a master's degree or additional certifications.

What are the job prospects for engineers?

The job prospects for engineers are generally positive, as there is a high demand for skilled engineers in a variety of industries. However, the job market may vary depending on the specific engineering field and location. It is important for engineers to stay current with advancements in technology and continue developing their skills to remain competitive in the job market.

What are the typical duties of an engineer?

The duties of an engineer may vary depending on their specific job role and industry. However, common tasks may include designing, developing, and testing new products or systems, analyzing data and solving problems, collaborating with other team members, and staying updated on industry regulations and advancements.

What skills are important for success in engineering work?

Some important skills for success in engineering work include technical knowledge and proficiency, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, communication and teamwork skills, and adaptability. It is also important for engineers to have a strong work ethic and a desire to continue learning and improving their skills.