1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career change - any advice welcomed

1. Apr 17, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone,

I'm finishing my BA this year in a humanistic field(theology) and would like to change paths to neuroscience/neurobiology with a master in one of these fields ,and later pursue a Phd in the same field.
    However , I am worried that my bachelor degree would make it impossible to pursue a Phd in such a field.
    Would the master degree be enough ?Should I get a BA in Biology/more appropriate field?
    I hope this is the right section for the post.

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Once you've earned your Master's, I don't think your lack a Bachelor's in that field will be a deal breaker. Your research and grades earned while getting the Master's will be more important, I think.

To be sure though, you should ask the profs in the PhD departments at the schools you'd like to attend.

4. Apr 18, 2010 #3
    Thank you lisab.Any other opinions welcomed(esp. from within the field).

thank you

5. Apr 18, 2010 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem will be whether or not you will be accepted onto a Masters programme without a Bachelors degree in the subject.

6. Apr 18, 2010 #5
    Cristo , I have 2 options in regards to the master degree : one is a master in neurobiology at the University of Bucharest (at home) and the second is a master in Cognitive sciences (with a psychology focus) in Spain.(I would have to take a extra year for additional courses).
    My main worry is ,as I mentioned before , that this will be of no use because of my previous unrelated BA.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook