Career change -- University Language Teacher to Physics....

In summary, the person is 28 years old with a Linguistics Master's degree and a three-year experience as a language teacher at a university. They have always been interested in engineering and physics, but due to personal circumstances, they were not able to pursue a degree in the field. After being inspired by career change stories, they are considering pursuing a degree in computer engineering or electronic engineering. The main considerations are their motivation and financial resources to see it through. They also need to assess their math skills and be prepared for college-level calculus.
ibtissem
Hello,
I am new here , I am 28 years old with a Linguistics Master degree and a three years experience as a language teacher at University. Since my childhood I was fond of engineering and Physics, but unfortunately and due to some personal circumstances I was not able to pursue a degree in the field.

After seeing a number of inspiring career changes stories I became convinced more than ever that this might be the right path for me . Everyday ,the lack of passion while doing my job reminds of this .

So , please I want to know your opinion of this ?Is it possible for me to realize this dream ? and what are the prospects since I am particularly interested in Computer engineering and Electronic engineering, Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is certainly a possibility for you, and both computers and electronics are in demand.

The main thing I would recommend to you is to look very seriously at two things:
(1) are you sufficiently motivated to see it through? There is absolutely no point in starting if you cannot stay the course.
(2) are you able to finance the whole thing in a reasonable way? I strongly advise against student loans; this is path to life-long bondage. You need to have the resources to get through the whole process, 4 to 5 years, without going deeply into debt.
On the last point, do you have a family that you need to support? If so, don't try it. Can you live with your parents or another relative? Is there any part-time employment available through the school? How can you support yourself all the way through?
These are the critical issues, and I urge you to do it if they are positive, and not to do it if either is negative.

Likes ibtissem
Great questions have already been asked above, which I boil down to: do you really want it badly enough, and do you have a clear path to pay for the needed education and meet other financial needs during the process?

I'd add another: Are you ready for college calculus, or are you willing to learn or relearn the high school math to become ready?

You need a good assessment of where you'd need to start in math to count the cost and estimate the time and effort you might need to spend in math before you are ready for calculus. For $20 or so, you can sign up for a month of ALEKS precalculus. The early assessments will tell you where you stand, and then the system will begin building your skills. If you are not ready for precalculus, then you should take a step back to Algebra 2 or College Algebra, etc.

Likes ibtissem and PeroK

1. How can someone with a background in language teaching successfully transition to a career in physics?

Transitioning to a career in physics from language teaching may seem daunting, but it is definitely possible. The first step is to acquire a solid foundation in physics through coursework or self-study. This will help you understand the fundamental concepts and theories in the field. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities can also be helpful in making the transition smoother. Networking with professionals in the field and seeking mentorship can also provide valuable guidance and support.

2. What skills from language teaching are transferable to a career in physics?

While language teaching and physics may seem like vastly different fields, there are certain skills that are transferable. These can include strong communication skills, the ability to explain complex concepts in simple terms, patience, and adaptability. Additionally, both fields require critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail.

3. Are there any specific education or certification requirements for becoming a university physics teacher?

The specific education and certification requirements for becoming a university physics teacher may vary depending on the institution and country. Generally, a graduate degree in physics or a related field is required, such as a Master's or PhD. Additionally, some universities may require teaching experience or a teaching certification. It is important to research the specific requirements of the institution you are interested in teaching at.

4. What are some potential challenges of transitioning from language teaching to physics?

One potential challenge of transitioning from language teaching to physics is the lack of formal education or training in the field. This may require additional effort and dedication to catch up on the necessary knowledge and skills. Another challenge may be adjusting to the different teaching methods and techniques used in physics education. However, with determination and a willingness to learn, these challenges can be overcome.

5. What are some opportunities for advancement in a career as a university physics teacher?

As a university physics teacher, there are various opportunities for advancement. These can include pursuing a higher degree, such as a PhD, which can open up opportunities for research and teaching at a higher level. Additionally, gaining teaching experience and receiving positive evaluations can lead to promotions or tenure-track positions. There may also be opportunities for leadership roles within the university, such as becoming a department chair or program director.