Career Choice: In between two opinions

In summary, the individual is a university student studying physics but has discovered a love and talent for explaining science to laypeople and convincing non-believers. They are considering a career as a science writer/journalist, but are unsure if they want to pursue a degree in journalism. They are advised to look into becoming a technical writer for larger scientific companies and to mix in writing classes as electives while completing their physics degree. They are also encouraged to gain writing experience through starting a blog, writing for their school newspaper, and getting involved with science-related organizations.
Zaya Bell
I am a university student studying physics hoping to chase a career in the field. But recently I discovered my love and talent for explaining science in a basic level people who have no idea what it is that they understand, I also like convincing some unbelievers that science works. Then even more, I'm better at writing than speaking, I sometimes write articles on science.

So, I was thinking on a possibility of becoming a science writer/journalist or continue with my science ambition or maybe both if possible. I was reading a book written by a science writer and I enjoyed it, you know the explanation, the way they make it less technical and understanding, in fact I even enjoyed it more than reading a research paper. Then my possibility of getting a PhD degree is weakening due to some circumstances. But also I'm not sure if I'll like to pursue a degree in journalism.

Considering these factors, I want you guys to please give me an advice on my choice

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can look into a career as a Technical Writer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_writer

You would target larger companies that have scientific products, and work in their Marketing division (most likely) writing user documentation for their products (User Manuals, Datasheets, White Papers, etc.). We use technical writers here at my company to write user documentation for our electronic products. I especially like working with technical writers who have a technical background, because they are able to do much more of the writing themselves, as opposed to me doing most of the writing and them just formatting it nicely for the final documents.

Maybe have a look at the Wikipedia article and its links/references, and then search some larger scientific companies to see if they list Technical Writer on their employments pages.

Likes Zaya Bell
berkeman said:
You can look into a career as a Technical Writer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_writer

You would target larger companies that have scientific products, and work in their Marketing division (most likely) writing user documentation for their products (User Manuals, Datasheets, White Papers, etc.). We use technical writers here at my company to write user documentation for our electronic products. I especially like working with technical writers who have a technical background, because they are able to do much more of the writing themselves, as opposed to me doing most of the writing and them just formatting it nicely for the final documents.

Maybe have a look at the Wikipedia article and its links/references, and then search some larger scientific companies to see if they list Technical Writer on their employments pages.
I want to ask, do you think i should focus full time on this or just let it be something I just know how to do. Thanks.

What year are you at university? I wouldn't switch to an English major, but I might mix in some writing classes as electives in addition to working on the BS Physics degree. You might also look for summer jobs that involve writing to see if you enjoy doing it.

Likes Zaya Bell
Intentionally trying to make a career out of "convincing unbelievers that science works" is a bad idea. Not that this isn't a noble goal, but if you think if it from a business perspective, you're essentially trying to sell people something they specifically don't want.

Most science writers tend to have a background in science and pick up the writing aspect of it on the side, in my experience. The decision that you're making right now isn't really what career you want, it's what education you want. And from that perspective, it would seem that focusing on the science or physics side of things will probably help you the most. While you're doing that you could:
- start up a science blog
- write for your school newspaper
- interview different professors at your university about your research
- get involved with your local undergraduate physics society
- start a science You Tube channel
- attempt to sell some freelance articles to popular science magazines and websites

Likes Zaya Bell and berkeman

1. What factors should I consider when choosing between two career options?

When deciding between two career options, it is important to consider your interests, skills, values, and goals. Think about which career aligns more with your passions and strengths, and which will help you achieve your long-term goals.

2. Can I switch careers if I am already established in one?

Yes, it is possible to switch careers even if you are already established in one. It may take some time and effort, but with proper planning and determination, it is achievable. Consider gaining new skills and networking in the field you are interested in before making the switch.

3. How do I know if I am making the right career choice?

Making a career decision can be daunting, but there are a few indicators that can help you determine if you are making the right choice. These include feeling excited and motivated about the potential career, having a natural aptitude for the required skills, and finding personal fulfillment in the work.

4. Is it important to have a backup plan when choosing between two career options?

Having a backup plan can provide a sense of security and peace of mind when making a career choice. It is always a good idea to have a backup plan in case your first choice does not work out. This can include having a second career option or developing a new set of skills that can be transferable to a different field.

5. Should I consider the salary when choosing between two career options?

While salary is an important factor to consider, it should not be the only deciding factor when choosing between two career options. It is also important to think about job satisfaction, growth opportunities, and work-life balance. A higher salary may not always lead to job fulfillment and happiness.