Career Guidance - Alternative Energy?

• Thread starter Wetterlin
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

(Hope this is in the right place)
Hello, I have been debating this for awhile and am unsure really of what I should be doing.

I like chemistry, I like solving math problems. However I don't care for solving the area of a function revolved about an axis, not very interesting to me. So far the physics teacher I have taken for Physics 1&2 with calculus has been a joke and I didn't really do too much for his class.

I have an interest in alternative energy. For one I think it would be fascinating to generate power, and especially to advance the world into better ways of generating this power.

I am currently set to transfer to the University of Minnesota for electrical engineering (something I picked... fairly randomly, just had to pick something). I have read a fair amount of comments by engineers that being an engineer ultimately ends up in you being a paper pusher and managing others while they do manufacturing. Is this true??? If that's the case I don't see why anybody would ever want to become an engineer, how boring!

I ultimately want (at this moment) to work on some type of alternative energy, vague I know but I really don't know much right now. I would like to request some help from anyone if they can offer me any advice of what they think I should do or how I go about doing it. Thank you!

Answers and Replies

It looks like you more or less want information on what particular careers do in the first place. I wouldn't say that engineers are basically stuck doing paperwork :P

I think something that might benefit you, would be to take a look at the Bureau of Labor Statistics website to better figure out what professions generally do, how their outlook is, the need for them, etc.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

Sure, introductory physics is fairly boring, but I think you have to look at it from another perspective. I think "Once I master this stuff, I can start learning more difficult/interesting things".

Last edited by a moderator:
I have actually taken a look at that site before. The thing is though I don't think there is really a specific field for energy though. What I am more curious to know is what general path people would recommend I take to keep the doors open for different forms of alternative energy.

I understand that's kind of a hard question as clearly nuclear energy is going to require different skills than say further developing wind farms. Maybe I could ask if anyone knows of any good places to read for more information on alternative energies?

I have actually taken a look at that site before. The thing is though I don't think there is really a specific field for energy though. What I am more curious to know is what general path people would recommend I take to keep the doors open for different forms of alternative energy.

I understand that's kind of a hard question as clearly nuclear energy is going to require different skills than say further developing wind farms. Maybe I could ask if anyone knows of any good places to read for more information on alternative energies?
A lot of engineering fields feed into alternative energy. For nuclear power there are nuclear engineers. For wind power there are mechanical and electrical engineers. For biomass and other bio related energies there are chemical engineers.

Since you said you were interested in chemistry, I would recommend chemical engineering. I know Minnisota has http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate-chemical"

Last edited by a moderator: