1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Career in academia or government/industrial work?

1. May 22, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I'm currently a junior majoring in physics and intend on going to graduate school to get a PhD in nuclear physics after graduation. This post may be premature, as I'm not even in grad school yet, but I have a general question about a career in physics.

I would eventually like to work as a professor, conducting research in QCD. Right after getting a PhD, would it be most beneficial to pursue a career in government/industrial work or would it be more helpful to try to get a position in academia?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For eventually ending up as faculty, you will likely need to go through several postdocs of 2-3 years each in order to have a shot at a tenure track position. I do not know anyone who has gone to industry and ended up with a faculty job in a more theoretical subject like QCD.

I would suggest you sit down with someone doing more or less what you want to do (preferably a faculty member at your university) and ask what the typical carreer path would look like and how the job market looks like.

4. May 23, 2017 #3
    Yeah I only know one professor who started in industry, but he's in a different area of physics so I thought I would ask. Thank you!

5. May 23, 2017 #4

analogdesign

Science Advisor

For physics, "government" which I think should be read as a postdoc at a National Lab, is just as valuable as an academic postdoc. Industry is a different animal and I would consider getting a job in industry a one-way door.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted