1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career in alternative energies engineering.

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1
    Career in alternative energies engineering.......

I have a BS in Mechanical Enineering with several years experience with general ME practices (i.e CAD design of parts and systems, CAM and machine work, project management). I am looking to start a carrer in alternative energy engineering. I am not interested in the Green buildings/LEED side of this feild, more so in the energy section (i.e solar, wind, geothermal). Is there any advise on how to jump into this feild given my ME backgound? I would not be apposed to going back to school or getting more training, I just do not know where to go/start. Are there any Masters programs in alternative/sustainable/green energy that are recomemnded? Is there a place where I can find rankings of these programs? Any direction with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Re: Career in alternative energies engineering.......

Welcome to PF....

I don't know that there are any degrees designed for "alternative energy engineering" - why not just use your degree as-is? You could get a job working on wind turbines for GE, a nuclear power plant, a hydro turbine company, a heat pump design firm, etc. with an ME degree.

4. Feb 16, 2010 #3
    Re: Career in alternative energies engineering.......

A BSME is all you need to get a job in alternative energy. Here in the state of michigan, a lot of universities offer certificates in alternative energy which you get after taking 3 or 4 related courses, but in my opinion these are pointless.

If you want to work in alternative energy I recommend you go out and look for a job that suits your desires. Like Russ said, you have a lot of options.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook