Career in the US navy as a nuclear science technician

In summary, to become a nuclear science technician you need a bachelor's of science degree in physics and a high ASVAB score. You can replace "a" above with have a very high GPA from a well-regarded school. The threshold varies with the needs of the service, but it's probably around 3.4.
pentazoid
With only a bachelor's of science degree in physics, Is it possible to become a nuclear science technician with only a BS degree in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Navy doesn't have jobs like "nuclear science technician". They have a number of jobs related to nuclear science, mostly via nuclear propulsion, but the job titles are things like "machinists mate", "electricians mate", etc. If they use the term "nuclear science technician", it's an umbrella category for the sort of specific job I mentioned.

To enlist into one of these positions, you need to a) score very highly on the ASVAB test, b) have a spotless criminal record, and in particular, no history of drug use, and c) don't screw up in boot camp. With a BS, it is also possible to apply for being an officer, which is essentially a supervisory position. You can replace "a" above with, have a very high GPA from a well-regarded school. The threshold varies with the needs of the service, but it's probably around 3.4.

Vanadium 50 said:
The Navy doesn't have jobs like "nuclear science technician". They have a number of jobs related to nuclear science, mostly via nuclear propulsion, but the job titles are things like "machinists mate", "electricians mate", etc. If they use the term "nuclear science technician", it's an umbrella category for the sort of specific job I mentioned.

To enlist into one of these positions, you need to a) score very highly on the ASVAB test, b) have a spotless criminal record, and in particular, no history of drug use, and c) don't screw up in boot camp. With a BS, it is also possible to apply for being an officer, which is essentially a supervisory position. You can replace "a" above with, have a very high GPA from a well-regarded school. The threshold varies with the needs of the service, but it's probably around 3.4.

Are you required to apply for being an officer if you want to have a job related to nuclear propulsion systems? Is that it, mainly score high on the ASVAB test ? That test is really easy.

No, one can be either enlisted or officer. The jobs are different.

I think I said "very high" for the ASVAB.

Vanadium 50 said:

I think I said "very high" for the ASVAB.

If you score well on the test, the score you received will list the range of navy jobs you qualify for?

pentazoid said:
If you score well on the test, the score you received will list the range of navy jobs you qualify for?

Your recruiter will tell you, based on your ASVAB score, what you qualify for. If I recall correctly, you'll need greater than a 65 on the ASVAB for Nuke service (can't remember for sure if that is the number but it rings a bell).

Plus I think there is a "Nuke" test requirement also.

CS

Vanadium 50 said:
There are hybrids, too. My nephew has been sailor of the year for larger and larger forces over the years and was the top-rated Chief on the Constellation for years, with little hope of landing a nicer assignment unless he got commissioned as Warrant Officer. That has come to pass, and he is training for new assignments in propulsion, ahead of being reassigned to jobs out of Hawaii. Previously, he supervised machine shops on the carrier. He started out as a grunt, and is now an officer without Naval Academy training.

stewartcs said:
Your recruiter will tell you, based on your ASVAB score, what you qualify for. If I recall correctly, you'll need greater than a 65 on the ASVAB for Nuke service (can't remember for sure if that is the number but it rings a bell).

Plus I think there is a "Nuke" test requirement also.

CS

65 as I need to get at least 130 questions right out of 200 on the ASVAB to qualify for Nuke service?

pentazoid said:
65 as I need to get at least 130 questions right out of 200 on the ASVAB to qualify for Nuke service?

I don't remember exactly how it is "graded" but I don't believe it is a simple percentage. Your best bet is to talk to your recruiter, he/she will have the best information on it.

Good Luck,

CS

Minimum scores are different depending on your rating - I know there are nuclear machinist mates, electricians mates, and electronics technicians. I don't know if there are nuclear MRs: machinery repairmen. In any event, this is something you should discuss with your recruiter.

The ASVAB is broken down into different areas.

General Science, Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Auto Shop Info, Mathematics Knowledge, Mechanical Comp, Electrical Information.

You want to have a high AFQT score with is the average of AR+WK+PC+MK

Also to qualify for the navy nuke program...

You need to meet this combo

AR+MK+EI+GS >252
VE(WK+PC)+AR+MK+MC> 252

If you do not qualify based off of those scores you may have to take the Nuke Test which you will have to score a minimum of 50 on...and I think it adds to either and you still have to score higher than 290. It is not hard to get a high AFQT Score and pass well beyond the 252. Depending on your strengths...you may even pull a 400+ in VE+AR+MK+MC

The Nuke Test is not hard. Basically Algebra, some basic physics, and some basic chemistry...

Do not go enlisted with your degree...try to go officer. You will need to try and find a officer recruiter...not a enlist recruiter...potentially the recruiter near you could get you hooked up with the regional officer recruiter or something.

Last edited:
psmarz said:
The ASVAB is broken down into different areas.

General Science, Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Auto Shop Info, Mathematics Knowledge, Mechanical Comp, Electrical Information.

You want to have a high AFQT score with is the average of AR+WK+PC+MK

Also to qualify for the navy nuke program...

You need to meet this combo

AR+MK+EI+GS >252
VE(WK+PC)+AR+MK+MC> 252

If you do not qualify based off of those scores you may have to take the Nuke Test which you will have to score a minimum of 50 on...and I think it adds to either and you still have to score higher than 290. It is not hard to get a high AFQT Score and pass well beyond the 252. Depending on your strengths...you may even pull a 400+ in VE+AR+MK+MC

The Nuke Test is not hard. Basically Algebra, some basic physics, and some basic chemistry...

Do not go enlisted with your degree...try to go officer. You will need to try and find a officer recruiter...not a enlist recruiter...potentially the recruiter near you could get you hooked up with the regional officer recruiter or something.

Would I be able to work in the US Navy research Laboratory if I joined the US Navy with a BA in physics?

NRL is essentially a civilian outfit.

It's also important to understand that if you join the Navy, you go where the Navy wants you to go and do what the Navy wants you to do. While there is some flexibility and room for negotiation, there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that the needs of the service come first.

Vanadium 50 said:
NRL is essentially a civilian outfit.

It's also important to understand that if you join the Navy, you go where the Navy wants you to go and do what the Navy wants you to do. While there is some flexibility and room for negotiation, there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that the needs of the service come first.

Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread but I must know are there any people with physics BA's that work as technicians for laboratories in the Navy or in the military in general.

A long time ago (20 years) the Navy used to have a program where they would pay your way through school to get a Nuclear Engineering degree.

1. What is a nuclear science technician in the US Navy?

A nuclear science technician in the US Navy is a highly trained and skilled individual responsible for the operation, maintenance, and repair of nuclear-powered equipment and systems on Navy ships and submarines. They work closely with nuclear engineers and other personnel to ensure the safe and efficient operation of nuclear reactors and associated equipment.

2. What are the educational requirements for becoming a nuclear science technician in the US Navy?

To become a nuclear science technician in the US Navy, you must have a high school diploma or equivalent. Additionally, you must pass the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) and the Nuclear Field "A" School entrance exam. After completing basic training, you will undergo extensive technical training at the Naval Nuclear Power Training Command.

3. What are the job responsibilities of a nuclear science technician in the US Navy?

A nuclear science technician in the US Navy is responsible for operating and maintaining nuclear reactors, monitoring and controlling nuclear propulsion systems, and troubleshooting and repairing equipment malfunctions. They also perform routine maintenance and inspections, conduct radiological surveys, and ensure compliance with safety protocols and procedures.

4. What are the career advancement opportunities for a nuclear science technician in the US Navy?

The US Navy offers a variety of career advancement opportunities for nuclear science technicians. Through on-the-job training and specialized courses, technicians can advance to higher ranks and positions, such as leading petty officer or chief petty officer. They can also pursue further education and training to become nuclear engineers or instructors.

5. What are the benefits of a career as a nuclear science technician in the US Navy?

A career as a nuclear science technician in the US Navy offers a wide range of benefits, including competitive pay, comprehensive healthcare coverage, retirement plans, and opportunities for travel and adventure. Additionally, the US Navy offers educational and training opportunities, as well as potential for career advancement and leadership roles.