1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career-wise, does it help to join IEEE?

1. Nov 27, 2008 #1
    Is it worth it to join IEEE? I've been active with the IEEE student chapter and have been a national student member. But, are there any direct benefits of it? (Aside from getting the magazines, and I don't read the papers on there much).
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2008 #2
    probbaly the best benefit is the networking
  4. Dec 9, 2008 #3
    I'm in academia and I use the IEEE Xplore daily. Besides that, IEEE has some great webinars which are geared towards professionals for both technical and career development.
  5. Dec 12, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The benefits really start when you achieve Chartered status. Sticking as a member until that point shows commitment to the profession.
  6. Dec 12, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

Yes. But to really get benefits, one must actively participate. I was in IEEE for many years but finally dropped it because I wasn't so active. I might re-join, but I belong to 6 other technical societies and sit on a number of committees, and I participate in various national and international meetings/conferences. Committee members usually involve the main researchers and managers in industry.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?