Careers paths of fundamental vs. applied physics

In summary, the conversation discusses a decision that needs to be made regarding the start of research for a physics PhD. The options include physics, applied physics, or ECE/physics, with the concern of not wanting to be set back and wanting to make the right decision. The individual is interested in both fields and plans to study optics/photonics, with the goal of finding work in industry after graduation. The conversation also touches on the job opportunities for those with a fundamental physics background, with the question of whether taking the applied route would limit opportunities in national laboratories or vice versa. The general opinions on careers for fundamental physics versus applied physics are varied, but the speaker suggests taking the applied route.
Mindscrape
I have a decision to make in my physics PhD of where to start my research between physics, applied physics, or even ECE/physics. I know that I could always switch fields part way in, but I really don't want to be set back and I want to make the right decision to start with. Anyway, as I am interested in both fields it's not a matter of interest for me, rather a matter of what options I will have when I finish my PhD. I'll be studying optics/photonics, and as I'm not really interested in academia I'd mostly be looking for work in industry after I graduate.

I hear of people being able to go from fundamental physics backgrounds into industry, but I wonder how much more limited the job opportunities really are. Of course, academia is very limited, so most PhD students do eventually make their way to industry, but what I'm not so sure about is if taking applied physics would limit any path to a national laboratory that studies more fundamental; as well as vice versa, whether fundamental physics would limit the possibilities of more applied work.

What are the general opinions on careers for fundamental physics versus applied physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no right answer and opinions differ. But my opinion is take the applied route.

1. What is the difference between fundamental and applied physics?

Fundamental physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe, such as quantum mechanics and relativity. Applied physics, on the other hand, uses these fundamental principles to solve practical problems and develop new technologies.

2. What are the career options in fundamental physics?

Careers in fundamental physics typically involve research and teaching in universities and research institutions. Some common job titles include theoretical physicist, experimental physicist, and astrophysicist.

3. What are the career options in applied physics?

Applied physics offers a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, energy, electronics, and healthcare. Some common job titles include materials scientist, optics engineer, and medical physicist.

4. Is a different educational background required for fundamental and applied physics careers?

While both fields require a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, the specific educational background may vary. Fundamental physics careers typically require a PhD in physics, while applied physics careers may also accept candidates with a bachelor's or master's degree in engineering or another related field.

5. Can one switch between fundamental and applied physics careers?

Yes, it is possible to switch between fundamental and applied physics careers. Many physicists have a background in both fields and may transition between them throughout their career. However, it may require additional education or training in the specific field to make the switch successfully.