Car's coefficent of kinetic friction help

In summary, while driving at a constant speed on a wet road, the car's wheel locks and the tires begin to skid when the driver gets a call and forgets about the stop sign. After slamming on the brakes, the car slides to a halt 20 meters from the intersection. The coefficient of kinetic friction was found to be 0.53 and the distance traveled before stopping was 38.2 meters.
pharaoh
you are driving a 1500 kg car at a constant speed of 20 m/s along Grand Blvd. a wet road, asphalt level road. as you approach the intersection, you get a call on your cell phone. then you forgot about the stop sign. when you see the stop sign you slam on the brakes 20 meter from the intersection. the car's wheel lock, the tire begin skidding and the car slides to a halt. what was your coefficent of kinetic friction (uk) and how far did you ge before stopping?

i got uk= 1.2 and d= 60 m but i am not sure

Physics news on Phys.org
pharaoh said:
i got uk= 1.2 and d= 60 m but i am not sure
Those two numbers are not consisteent with one another. Where did you get uk? Did you look it up in a table?

thanks for replying but i found the answer
uk= 0.53 and the d= 38.2

Related to Car's coefficent of kinetic friction help

What is coefficient of kinetic friction?

Coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces when they are in motion relative to each other. It is represented by the symbol "μk" and is a dimensionless quantity that ranges from 0 to 1.

How is coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction between two surfaces by the normal force between them. It can also be found by dividing the tangential force required to keep an object in motion by the normal force.

How does coefficient of kinetic friction affect the motion of a car?

Coefficient of kinetic friction plays a significant role in determining how much force is needed to keep a car in motion. The higher the coefficient, the more force is required to overcome the friction and maintain the car's motion. This can affect the car's speed and acceleration.

What factors can affect the coefficient of kinetic friction for a car?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be affected by various factors such as the roughness of the road surface, the type of tires on the car, and the weight of the car. Additionally, the presence of any lubricants or liquids on the road can also impact the coefficient of kinetic friction.

How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be reduced for a car?

To reduce the coefficient of kinetic friction for a car, one can use smoother tires, drive on smoother roads, and reduce the weight of the car. Additionally, using lubricants such as oil or grease can also help reduce friction between the car and the road surface.