Compare Dry & Wet Friction: How Far Will a Car Skid?

• Thread starter Wapapow10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: However, in the lab, we were only considering dry friction. So, if we assume that the coefficient of friction is the same for both types of concrete, then the answer is 5.19% more skidage in wet concrete.
Wapapow10

Homework Statement

A driver makes an emergency stop and inadvertently locks up the brakes of the car, which skids to a stop on dry concrete. Consider the effect of rain on this scenario. If the coefficients of kinetic friction for rubber on dry and wet concrete are
μK(dry) = 0.81 and μK(wet) = 0.53,
how much farther would the car skid (expressed in percentage of the dry-weather skid) if the concrete were instead wet?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

F=uk*g
F=.81*9.8
F=7.93

F=.53*9.8
F=5.19

5.19/7.93=65.44%

Got this wrong and I'm not sure what I'm missing[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
The force isn't directly proportional to the displacement, so you can't just take the ratio of the forces. Figure out first how far each one will go (use kinematics, and remember that F=ma), then take that ratio. Keep in mind that you should take the ratio of wet/dry displacement, so you'll get a number like 1.53, and that means that in wet concrete the car travels 153% of what it travels in dry concrete, or that it travels 53% more.

Thats what I'm lost on. I don't know the mass or acc of the car. I don't know where to start we didnt get a chance to go over this in class and the work is due tomorrow.

You don't need to know the mass of the car. All the unknown quantities (mass, initial velocity I think are the only two) will cancel out when you take the ratio, because you can obviously assume it's the same car and everything :D

I guess I missed something in class. I can't get it to work out I changed it over to F=ukg that was no help. tired just f=ma as well

Ah, allright- I'll get you part of the way there ;).
From kinematics, we know that when there's constant acceleration (let's assume it's constant), the following holds: [tex]v^2=v_0^2+2aD [/tex]
Now, the situation we have describes zero velocity at the end, so [tex]D=-\frac{v_0^2}{2a}[/tex]
This is the general case (for any acceleration). Now, let's get specific: for the wet concrete, we have some acceleration [itex]a_w [/itex] for the car, and for dry concrete we have an acceleration [itex]a_d [/itex]. What we want to find is the ratio [itex]D_w/D_d [/itex]. Keep in mind that [tex]D_w=-\frac{v_0^2}{2a_w}[/tex] and that [tex]D_d=-\frac{v_0^2}{2a_d}[/tex]
Now to find the respective accelerations, just use dynamics; I think you were ok on that part.

Afterwards, when you take the ratio of the distances, the [itex]v_0^2[/itex] terms (as well as the mass) will cancel and everything will be ok.

Wapapow10 said:

Homework Statement

A driver makes an emergency stop and inadvertently locks up the brakes of the car, which skids to a stop on dry concrete. Consider the effect of rain on this scenario. If the coefficients of kinetic friction for rubber on dry and wet concrete are
μK(dry) = 0.81 and μK(wet) = 0.53,
how much farther would the car skid (expressed in percentage of the dry-weather skid) if the concrete were instead wet?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

F=uk*g
F=.81*9.8
F=7.93

F=.53*9.8
F=5.19

5.19/7.93=65.44%

Got this wrong and I'm not sure what I'm missing[/B]
In a real world scenario, where hydroplaning occurs, the coefficient of friction is basically zero. :)

1. What is the difference between dry and wet friction?

Dry friction refers to the resistance between two solid surfaces in contact when there is no lubricant or liquid present. Wet friction, on the other hand, occurs when there is a lubricant or liquid present between two solid surfaces in contact.

2. How does dry friction affect a car's skidding distance compared to wet friction?

Dry friction results in a greater skidding distance for a car compared to wet friction. This is because the presence of a lubricant reduces the friction between the car's tires and the road, allowing the car to come to a stop more quickly.

3. What factors can affect the amount of dry friction?

The amount of dry friction between two surfaces can be affected by factors such as the roughness of the surfaces, the amount of force applied, and the type of material the surfaces are made of.

4. How does wet friction impact a car's braking ability?

Wet friction can significantly decrease a car's braking ability due to the reduced friction between the tires and the road. This can result in longer stopping distances and potentially lead to accidents.

5. Can the coefficient of friction change between dry and wet conditions?

Yes, the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces, can change between dry and wet conditions. For example, the coefficient of friction for rubber on concrete is higher in dry conditions compared to wet conditions.