1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian Tensors and some proofs and problems regarding it.

1. Sep 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am stuck at this point where I have to prove that the kronecker delta is isotropic tensor.

2. Relevant equations

δij=δji

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that to prove this I have to show that under coordinate transfor mation it does not change..but it's a bit diff for me to get it right...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi, Raj90. Welcome to PF.

You don't mean any coordinate transformation, right? What type of coordinate transformation are you assuming in order to show that the tensor is isotropic?

Do you know the general method for transforming tensor components from one system of coordinates to another?

4. Sep 16, 2012 #3
    Hey TSny!

No I am completely new to the subject..that is why I need some help and guidance as to what I should refer to solve the given problem.

5. Sep 16, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to have some basic knowledge about tensors to solve the problem. We are here to help you once you have made an attempt and you show us your work so far. I will just say that for this problem you essentially need the following:

1. Know the definition of "isotropic tensor". This will tell you what type of coordinate transformation you need to consider.

2. Know the general method of transforming tensor components and apply this method to the specific type of coordinate transformation you are dealing with in this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook