Many failed attempts on this displacement/acceleration/velocity problem.

• Thread starter knnguyen
  • Start date
In summary, the police car overtakes the speeder after 4 seconds, with the speeder traveling 400 meters and the police car traveling 480 meters before overtaking. The police car accelerates for 1 second at a rate of 2.4 m/s^2 before overtaking the speeder.
knnguyen

Homework Statement

An unmarked police car traveling a constant 80 km/h is passed by a speeder traveling 125 km/h.
Precisely 3.00 s after the speeder passes, the police officer steps on the accelerator; if the police car's acceleration is 2.40 m/s^2, how much time passes before the police car overtakes the speeder after the speeder passes (assumed moving at constant speed)?

Homework Equations

ΔX (speeder) = V(speeder)T → (125km/h) (1m/s / 3.6km/h) (T) = (34.72222T)m

ΔX (police) = V (police)(3.00s) →(80km/h)(1m/s / 3.6km/h) (3.00s) = 66.666667m
ΔX (police during accelerated motion) = V (t-3.00) + 1/2(2.40m/s^2)(t-3.00)^2
Total ΔX (police) = 66.666667 + 66.666667(t-3.00)+1/2(2.40)(t-3.00)^2

ΔX (speeder) = ΔX (police)

The Attempt at a Solution

Were all my answers but all are wrong. Please let me know what I did wrong. Thank you so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

You know that your third and fourth answers can't possibly be right, because the police car does not even start to accelerate until three seconds have passed.

Use the basic kinematic equations, and write down an equation for the speeder and another for the cop.

1. What is displacement, acceleration, and velocity?

Displacement refers to the change in position of an object over time. Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. Velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. Why is this problem difficult to solve?

This problem can be difficult to solve because it involves understanding and manipulating various formulas and concepts from physics, such as displacement, acceleration, velocity, and time. It may also require knowledge of calculus and other advanced math concepts.

3. How can I improve my understanding of this problem?

To improve your understanding of this problem, it is important to review and practice basic physics concepts and formulas related to displacement, acceleration, and velocity. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or classmate, or to consult additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

4. What are some common mistakes made when solving this problem?

Some common mistakes when solving this problem include mixing up units of measurement, incorrect application of formulas, and forgetting to account for changes in direction. It is important to carefully review each step and double-check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I check if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by using the given values to plug in to the appropriate formulas and compare the resulting value to your answer. It is also helpful to use common sense and consider the physical implications of your answer. Additionally, seeking feedback from a teacher or classmate can help to verify the accuracy of your solution.