Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Categorical approach to probability?

1. May 23, 2008 #1
    I am interested in, and try to understand category theory. At the same time, I am taking my first (real) probability class. I am wondering if there is a way to understand probability theory through categories, and more importantly, if so, would it be interesting? It seems that there would only be very trivial limits, i.e. only categories with monadic diagrams would have limits.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2008 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can do the usual translations, but I haven't seen anyone present probability theory in a purely category theoretic manner.

One little point is, in my opinion, I think there's merit in syntactically treating random variables as generalized elements.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  4. May 24, 2008 #3
    What do you mean, syntactically treating random variables as generalized elements. Are you talking about discrete random variables, continuous random variables, or all being generalized in some way? If the latter, I would love to see this expounded upon, maybe if you could, some examples.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?