1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy-Euler Differential Equation

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the equation x2y''-2xy'+2y=x with bountary conditions y(1)=0, y(2)=0.

I don't know how to solve this without treating it as a Cauchy-Euler equation but I'm struggling because the equation equals x.

3. The attempt at a solution
    By treating this as a Cauchy-Euler equation x2y''-2xy'+2y=0 and using y=xr, I get that r=2,1.
    I can't find a particular integral for the equation though and I'm not even sure this is a Cauchy-Euler equation anymore.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes that is a 'Cauchy-Euler' equation and, yes, its characteristic equation is r(r-1)- 2r+ 2=(r- 2)(r- 1)= 0 so that x and [itex]x^2[/itex] are solutions. Since "x" is already a solution, try y= Ax ln(x) as a solution to the entire equation.

That works (and Cauchy-Euler equations are especially easy) because the change of variable [itex]x= e^t[/itex] reduces that equation to the equation with constant coefficients [itex]y''- 3y'+ 2y= e^t[/itex] (the primes now indicate differentiation with respect to t).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook