Cauchy product with both extremes infinites

In summary, if ##\{a_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}##, ##\{a_{-n}\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}^+}##, ##\{b_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## and ##\{b_{-n}\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}^+}## are absolutely summable complex sequences, then ##(\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_n)(\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}b_n)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\sum_{k=-\infty}
DavideGenoa
Dear friends, I have been told that if ##\{a_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}##, ##\{a_{-n}\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}^+}##, ##\{b_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## and ##\{b_{-n}\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}^+}## are absolutely summable complex sequences -maybe even if only one i between ##\{a_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{Z}}## and ##\{b_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{Z}}## is- then

##(\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_n)(\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}b_n)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty}a_{n-k}b_k##​

where ##\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_n=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_{-n}##.

I know that if ##\{a_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## or ##\{b_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## is absolutely summable, then ##(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n)(\sum_{n=0}^{ \infty}b_n)=\sum_{n=0}^{ \infty}\sum_{k=0}^{ \infty}a_{n-k}b_k##, i.e. the proposition is true if ##\forall n\leq-1\quad a_n=0=b_n##, and have tried to use that to prove the general case, but I get ##\sum_{k=0}^{M}a_k\sum_{k=0}^{N}b_k+\sum_{k=1}^{P}a_{-k}\sum_{k=0}^{Q}b_k+\sum_{K=0}^{M}a_k\sum_{k=1}^{R}b_{-k}+\sum_{k=1}^{P}a_{-k}\sum_{k=1}^{R}b_{-k}##, with ##M,N,P,Q\to+\infty##, without being able to handle the indices to get ##\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty}a_{n-k}b_k##.
Thank you so much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
DavideGenoa said:
Dear friends, I have been told that if ##\{a_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}##, ##\{a_{-n}\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}^+}##, ##\{b_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## and ##\{b_{-n}\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}^+}## are absolutely summable complex sequences -maybe even if only one i between ##\{a_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{Z}}## and ##\{b_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{Z}}## is- then

##(\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_n)(\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}b_n)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty}a_{n-k}b_k##​

where ##\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_n=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_{-n}##.

I know that if ##\{a_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## or ##\{b_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## is absolutely summable, then ##(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n)(\sum_{n=0}^{ \infty}b_n)=\sum_{n=0}^{ \infty}\sum_{k=0}^{ \infty}a_{n-k}b_k##, i.e. the proposition is true if ##\forall n\leq-1\quad a_n=0=b_n##, and have tried to use that to prove the general case, but I get ##\sum_{k=0}^{M}a_k\sum_{k=0}^{N}b_k+\sum_{k=1}^{P}a_{-k}\sum_{k=0}^{Q}b_k+\sum_{K=0}^{M}a_k\sum_{k=1}^{R}b_{-k}+\sum_{k=1}^{P}a_{-k}\sum_{k=1}^{R}b_{-k}##, with ##M,N,P,Q\to+\infty##, without being able to handle the indices to get ##\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty}a_{n-k}b_k##.
Thank you so much for your help!

##\{a_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}##, ##\{a_{-n}\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}^+}##, ##\{b_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## and ##\{b_{-n}\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}^+}## absolutely summable complex sequences imply ##\{a_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## and ##\{b_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## are absolutely summable.

I don't understand your problem.

Likes 1 person
I know, but I am not able to see that ##(\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}a_n)(\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}b_n):=(\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}a_n+\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}a_{-n})(\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}b_n+\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}b_{-n})## is equal to ##\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}\sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty}a_{n-k}b_k:=\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}(\sum_{k=0}^{+\infty}a_{n-k}b_k+\sum_{k=1}^{+\infty}a_{n+k}b_{-k})+\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}(\sum_{k=0}^{+\infty}a_{-n-k}b_k+\sum_{k=1}^{+\infty}a_{-n+k}b_{-k})##.

I have also tried this road, which I hope not to lack mathematical rigour: I think we can say that ##(\sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty}a_k)(\sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty}b_k)=(\lim_{p\to+\infty}\sum_{k=-p}^{+\infty}a_k)(\lim_{q\to+\infty}\sum_{k=-q}^{+\infty}b_k)##. Therefore I guess we could work (knowing that under the hypothesis of absolute summability ##(\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}a_n)(\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}b_n)=\sum_{n=0}^{+ \infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n}a_{n-k}b_k##, which is the case I know) with ##(\sum_{k=-p}^{+\infty}a_k)(\sum_{k=-q}^{+\infty}b_k)=\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n}a_{n-p-k}b_{k-q}=\sum_{n=-p}^{+\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n}a_{n-k}b_{k-q}##, but, here, I cannot arrange the more internal sum in order to get extremal indices approaching ##\pm\infty##...
Any idea?
Thank you so much again!

Last edited:
It is much easier if you don't split the sums into two domains. Simply changes indices: a sum, n -> k, b sum, n -> m-k.

##(\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}a_n)(\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}b_n)=(\sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty}a_k)(\sum_{m=-\infty}^{+\infty}b_{m-k})##

Likes DavideGenoa
##\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}## thank##_n##! ;) It seems to me that it perfectly works even with only one series absolutely convergent: am I right? Thank you so much again!

What is the Cauchy product with both extremes infinites?

The Cauchy product with both extremes infinites is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two infinite series together, where the first and last terms of each series are infinitely large. This operation is also known as the Cauchy-Hadamard product.

How is the Cauchy product with both extremes infinites calculated?

The Cauchy product with both extremes infinites is calculated by multiplying the first term of one series with the first term of the other series, then the second term of one series with the second term of the other series, and so on. The resulting terms are then added together to form a new series.

What is the significance of the Cauchy product with both extremes infinites?

The Cauchy product with both extremes infinites is important in the study of infinite series, as it allows for the multiplication of two series that would otherwise be unable to be multiplied due to their infinite nature. This operation can also be used to find the coefficients of a power series.

In what fields of science is the Cauchy product with both extremes infinites used?

The Cauchy product with both extremes infinites is used in various fields of science, including mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is particularly useful in the study of differential equations and power series, and has applications in signal processing and control theory.

Are there any limitations to the Cauchy product with both extremes infinites?

Yes, there are limitations to the Cauchy product with both extremes infinites. One limitation is that the resulting series may not converge for all values of the variables involved. It is also important to note that this operation may not be commutative, meaning that changing the order of multiplication can result in a different series.