Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy product with both extremes infinites

1. Sep 17, 2014 #1
    Dear friends, I have been told that if ##\{a_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}##, ##\{a_{-n}\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}^+}##, ##\{b_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## and ##\{b_{-n}\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}^+}## are absolutely summable complex sequences -maybe even if only one i between ##\{a_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{Z}}## and ##\{b_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{Z}}## is- then

##(\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_n)(\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}b_n)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty}a_{n-k}b_k##​

where ##\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_n=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_{-n}##.

I know that if ##\{a_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## or ##\{b_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## is absolutely summable, then ##(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n)(\sum_{n=0}^{ \infty}b_n)=\sum_{n=0}^{ \infty}\sum_{k=0}^{ \infty}a_{n-k}b_k##, i.e. the proposition is true if ##\forall n\leq-1\quad a_n=0=b_n##, and have tried to use that to prove the general case, but I get ##\sum_{k=0}^{M}a_k\sum_{k=0}^{N}b_k+\sum_{k=1}^{P}a_{-k}\sum_{k=0}^{Q}b_k+\sum_{K=0}^{M}a_k\sum_{k=1}^{R}b_{-k}+\sum_{k=1}^{P}a_{-k}\sum_{k=1}^{R}b_{-k}##, with ##M,N,P,Q\to+\infty##, without being able to handle the indices to get ##\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty}a_{n-k}b_k##.
    Thank you so much for your help!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

##\{a_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}##, ##\{a_{-n}\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}^+}##, ##\{b_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## and ##\{b_{-n}\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}^+}## absolutely summable complex sequences imply ##\{a_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## and ##\{b_n\}_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## are absolutely summable.

I don't understand your problem.

4. Sep 19, 2014 #3
    I know, but I am not able to see that ##(\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}a_n)(\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}b_n):=(\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}a_n+\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}a_{-n})(\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}b_n+\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}b_{-n})## is equal to ##\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}\sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty}a_{n-k}b_k:=\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}(\sum_{k=0}^{+\infty}a_{n-k}b_k+\sum_{k=1}^{+\infty}a_{n+k}b_{-k})+\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}(\sum_{k=0}^{+\infty}a_{-n-k}b_k+\sum_{k=1}^{+\infty}a_{-n+k}b_{-k})##.

I have also tried this road, which I hope not to lack mathematical rigour: I think we can say that ##(\sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty}a_k)(\sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty}b_k)=(\lim_{p\to+\infty}\sum_{k=-p}^{+\infty}a_k)(\lim_{q\to+\infty}\sum_{k=-q}^{+\infty}b_k)##. Therefore I guess we could work (knowing that under the hypothesis of absolute summability ##(\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}a_n)(\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}b_n)=\sum_{n=0}^{+ \infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n}a_{n-k}b_k##, which is the case I know) with ##(\sum_{k=-p}^{+\infty}a_k)(\sum_{k=-q}^{+\infty}b_k)=\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n}a_{n-p-k}b_{k-q}=\sum_{n=-p}^{+\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n}a_{n-k}b_{k-q}##, but, here, I cannot arrange the more internal sum in order to get extremal indices approaching ##\pm\infty##...
    Any idea?
    Thank you so much again!!!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  5. Sep 19, 2014 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is much easier if you don't split the sums into two domains. Simply changes indices: a sum, n -> k, b sum, n -> m-k.

##(\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}a_n)(\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}b_n)=(\sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty}a_k)(\sum_{m=-\infty}^{+\infty}b_{m-k})##

6. Sep 20, 2014 #5
    ##\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}## thank##_n##! ;) It seems to me that it perfectly works even with only one series absolutely convergent: am I right? Thank you so much again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook