Cauchy schwarz inequality in Rudin

In summary, Rudin's proof of the Cauchy Schwarz inequality involves showing that the expression $$\sum |B a_j - C b_j|^2$$ is equivalent to $$B(AB - |C|^2)$$ and then using the fact that each term of the first sum is positive to show that the expression is greater than or equal to zero. Rudin likely arrived at this proof due to its elegance and the ability to effortlessly go back and forth between seeing n-tuples as vectors or points in n space. Other resources may offer alternative explanations for the proof.
joecharland
I have worked my way though the proof of the Cauchy Schwarz inequality in Rudin but I am struggling to understand how one could have arrived at that proof in the first place. The essence of the proof is that this sum:
##\sum |B a_j - C b_j|^2##
is shown to be equivalent to the following expression:
##B(AB - |C|^2)##
Now since each term of the first sum is positive, it is clearly greater than or equal to zero, so that the expression $$B(AB - |C|^2)$$ is also greater than or equal to zero. Now if $$B = 0$$ the theorem is trivial, so assume that $$B \geq 0$$ and then the inequality $$B(AB - |C|^2) \geq 0$$ implies that $$AB - |C|^2 \geq 0$$ which is the theorem.

Now naturally what I want to understand is how to arrive at this proof in the first place. Some intuition to start with is that if $$AB - |C|^2$$ can be made equivalent to a single sum, each term of which is nonnegative, this would give the desired result. But Rudin added a step to this, by showing that $$B(AB - |C|^2)$$ can be made equivalent to a single sum and then the B can be canceled out. What train of thought would have led Rudin to this proof?

There is an explanation offered here:
http://math.berkeley.edu/~gbergman/ug.hndts/06x2+03F_104_q+a.txt

But I am still struggling to figure out that explanation too. Can anyone either help or direct me to a useful resource?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
IMHO, I think that rudin may have proven this in this way b/c he found it to be more elegant. When I took analysis, I proved it in the following way... Which is much more of a derivation than a proof , loosely... The cs inequality is True in a vector space, so... Given two vectors a and b, the derivation of the the formula is an obvious result of the dot product of two vectors in r^n... which can be seen as an obvious result of the law of cosines applied in a vector space and so on... I too wanted more solid analytical proof than that, but after following the advice of the text and prof, instead of letting the switch from seeing n-tuples as vectors , or points in space confuse me... I embraced the ability to effortlessly go back and forth between seeing n-tuples as vectors or points in n space... For any point p in n space... We may assign an n dimensional vector op... Conversely for any vector op in n space, we may assign a point p... By going effortlessly back and forth between mindsets one sees that a proof of the cs inequality in a vector sense is truly sufficient, in fact, you probally won't take the time to prove it at all, it is obviously true.

1. What is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, also known as the Cauchy-Bunyakovsky-Schwarz inequality, is a mathematical inequality that relates the inner product of two vectors in an inner product space to their norms. It states that for any two vectors, the absolute value of their inner product is less than or equal to the product of their norms.

2. Who is the mathematician behind the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is named after mathematicians Augustin-Louis Cauchy and Viktor Yakovlevich Bunyakovsky, who independently discovered the inequality in the 19th century. It was later expanded upon by German mathematician Hermann Amandus Schwarz, hence the alternate name of the Cauchy-Bunyakovsky-Schwarz inequality.

3. How is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality used in Rudin's "Principles of Mathematical Analysis"?

In Rudin's "Principles of Mathematical Analysis", the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is used to prove several important theorems, including the Triangle Inequality, the Schwarz Inequality, and the Hölder Inequality. It is also used in the proof of the Riesz Representation Theorem.

4. Can the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality be applied to any inner product space?

Yes, the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is a general result that applies to any inner product space. This includes vector spaces such as Euclidean spaces, as well as function spaces such as Hilbert spaces.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality has many applications in both pure mathematics and real-world problems. In physics, it is used to prove the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. In economics, it is used to derive the Gini coefficient, a measure of income inequality. It also has applications in computer science, engineering, and statistics.