Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rudin 1.37 (d) is trivial to Rudin but hell for me

1. Jun 13, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone,

I am working on my own through Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis and, after the demonstration of Cauchy - Schwarz Inequality, in Theorem 1.37, part (d), Rudin states:

$$|x \cdot y| \leqslant |x||y|$$

When he explains how to prove this, he simply states that this is an immediate consequence of Schwarz Inequality, which he defines as follows:

$$|\sum_{j=1}^{n}a_j \overline{b_j}|^2 \leqslant \sum_{j=1}^{n}|a_j|^2 \sum_{j=1}^{n}|b_j|^2$$

If someone can explain me how this two things are identical I would appreciate it a lot. My toughts so far:

$$|x \cdot y| \leqslant |x||y|$$ Take the square of this, which is:

$$ (x \cdot y)(x \cdot y) \leqslant \sum x_i^2 \sum y_i^2$$ and hence,

$$ (\sum x_iy_i)^2 \leqslant \sum x_i^2 \sum y_i^2$$ which is NOT the Schwarz Inequality!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2012 #2
    Sure it is? He just conjugates the [itex]b_j[/itex] to make the formula compatible with complex spaces. It's the same reason he slaps absolute value bars everywhere.

4. Jun 13, 2012 #3
    I understand the part of the conjugate, actually the whole part on the left is pretty clear to me. The problem is the right side of the inequality. I don't understand how

$$\sum x_i^2 \sum y_i^2 = \sum_{j=1}^{n} |x|^2 \sum_{j=1}^{n} |y|^2$$

5. Jun 13, 2012 #4
    You mean [itex]|x_i|[/itex] on the right, not [itex]|x|[/itex], right? Again, it's just slapping absolute value bars around to make the inequality compatible with complex spaces. For real numbers, there is no difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook