A question about Young's inequality and complex numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to demonstrate that ##\Omega## is real using the fact that ##u<0##. However, it is shown that ##u## must be greater than or equal to zero, making ##\Omega## either zero or imaginary. The fallacy in the given proof is that the last step relies on assuming that both ##a^2## and ##b^2## are positive, which is not initially stated.
VX10
TL;DR Summary
Here, I present question about the validity of Young's inequality.
Let ##\Omega## here be ##\Omega=\sqrt{-u}##, in which it is not difficult to realize that ##\Omega ## is real if ##u<0##; imaginary, if ##u>0##. Now, suppose further that ##u=(a-b)^2## with ##a<0## and ##b>0## real numbers. Bearing this in mind, I want to demonstrate that ##\Omega## is real. To that end, we must demonstrate that ##u<0##, or equivalently,
$$ a^2+b^2-2ab<0$$.
Going through some straightforward algebraic manipulations, we then have
$$ab>\frac{1}{2}\left(a^{2}+b^{2}\right)$$.
Nevertheless, on recalling that ##a<0##, we then are led to conclude that
$$ab<\frac{1}{2}\left(a^{2}+b^{2}\right)$$.

Based on the above, I ask:
1. Would that last statement hold true by virtue of Young's inequality?
2. Is there any fallacious step in that given proof?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

I have no idea what you are trying to do there, I'm sorry to say.

PeroK said:
:welcome:

I have no idea what you are trying to do there, I'm sorry to say.
Hi, PeroK. I hope you are doing well. I want to demonstrate that ##u<0##.

VX10 said:
But if ##u = (a-b)^2##, isn't ##u## guaranteed to be ##\ge 0##?

Likes VX10
VX10 said:
And what is ##u##?

VX10 said:
TL;DR Summary: Here, I present question about the validity of Young's inequality.

Let ##\Omega## here be ##\Omega=\sqrt{-u}##, in which it is not difficult to realize that ##\Omega ## is real if ##u<0##; imaginary, if ##u>0##. Now, suppose further that ##u=(a-b)^2## with ##a<0## and ##b>0## real numbers. Bearing this in mind, I want to demonstrate that ##\Omega## is real.

If [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are real of any sign, then [itex]a - b[/itex] is real and [itex]u = (a-b)^2 \geq 0[/itex]. Hence [itex]\Omega[/itex] is imaginary.

Likes VX10 and FactChecker
FactChecker said:
But if ##u = (a-b)^2##, isn't ##u## guaranteed to be ##\ge 0##?
Thanks for commenting FactChecker. This is the point of my doubt. As you can see, when I expand the equation and use the fact that ##a<0##, I arrive at the final statement presented above.

pasmith said:
If [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are real of any sign, then [itex]a - b[/itex] is real and [itex]u = (a-b)^2 \geq 0[/itex]. Hence [itex]\Omega[/itex] is imaginary.
Hi, pasmith. I hope you are doing well. This is the point of my doubt. As you can see, when I expand the equation and use the fact that ##a<0##, I arrive at the final statement presented above. Is the "mathematical development" presented above fallacious? Thanks for commeting.

VX10 said:
Thanks for commenting FactChecker. This is the point of my doubt. As you can see, when I expand the equation and use the fact that ##a<0##, I arrive at the final statement presented above.
Any real number, when squared, is positive. It is pointless to look at how that real number was obtained.

VX10 said:
Hi, pasmith. I hope you are doing well. This is the point of my doubt. As you can see, when I expand the equation and use the fact that ##a<0##, I arrive at the final statement presented above. Is the "mathematical development" presented above fallacious? Thanks for commeting.

There's no development. To show ##u<0## you decided it was equivalent to ##ab> 0.5(a^2+b^2)##, but you concluded that actually the opposite is true. This means you proved ##u>0##.
But this is all nonsense, since that last step relies on ##a^2## and ##b^2## being positive, which is something you didn't want to assume to begin with.

Likes quasar987, VX10 and PeroK
VX10 said:
As I said before your steps make little or no sense. ##(a-b)^2 \ge 0## for all real ##a, b##. It's not clear how or why you think you have shown that ##(a - b)^2 < 0##.

FactChecker said:
Any real number, when squared, is positive.
Or zero...

Likes FactChecker and VX10
Office_Shredder said:
There's no development. To show ##u<0## you decided it was equivalent to ##ab> 0.5(a^2+b^2)##, but you concluded that actually the opposite is true. This means you proved ##u>0##.
But this is all nonsense, since that last step relies on ##a^2## and ##b^2## being positive, which is something you didn't want to assume to begin with.
Thanks for commeting. Now, it became clear to me. Thanks again.

Likes quasar987
VX10 said:
Let ##\Omega## here be ##\Omega=\sqrt{-u}##, in which it is not difficult to realize that ##\Omega ## is real if ##u<0##; imaginary, if ##u>0##. Now, suppose further that ##u=(a-b)^2## with ##a<0## and ##b>0## real numbers. Bearing this in mind, I want to demonstrate that ##\Omega## is real.
To summarize what others have said, if ##u = (a - b)^2##, with a and be being any real numbers, then ##u \ge 0##. So ##\Omega## is zero if a = b or is imaginary otherwise. Period.

1. What is Young's inequality?

Young's inequality is a mathematical inequality that relates the multiplication of two numbers to their addition. It states that for any two positive real numbers, the product of the numbers is always less than or equal to the sum of the numbers raised to a certain power.

2. How is Young's inequality related to complex numbers?

Young's inequality can also be extended to complex numbers. In this case, the inequality states that the magnitude of the product of two complex numbers is always less than or equal to the sum of the magnitudes of the numbers raised to a certain power.

3. What is the significance of Young's inequality in mathematics?

Young's inequality is a fundamental result in mathematics that has applications in various fields such as analysis, probability, and functional analysis. It is also used in the proof of other important theorems, such as the Hölder's inequality and the Minkowski's inequality.

4. Can Young's inequality be generalized to more than two numbers?

Yes, Young's inequality can be generalized to more than two numbers. In this case, the inequality states that the product of any number of positive real or complex numbers is always less than or equal to the sum of their magnitudes raised to a certain power.

5. Are there any limitations to Young's inequality?

Yes, there are limitations to Young's inequality. It is only applicable to positive real or complex numbers, and the power to which the numbers are raised must be greater than or equal to 1. It also does not hold for negative numbers or when the power is less than 1.