1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy Schwarz proof with alternative dot product definition

1. Aug 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Does the Cauchy Schwarz inequality hold if we define the dot product of two vectors [itex] A,B \in V_n [/itex] by [itex] \sum_{k=1}^n |a_ib_i| [/itex]? If so, prove it.

2. Relevant equations

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality: [itex] (A\cdot B)^2 \leq (A\cdot A)(B\cdot B) [/itex]. Equality holds iff one of the vectors is a scalar multiple of the other.

3. The attempt at a solution

The result is trivial if either vector is the zero vector. Assume [itex] A,B\neq O [/itex].

Let [itex] A',B'\in V_n [/itex] s.t. [itex] a'_i = |a_i| [/itex] and [itex] b'_i = |b_i| [/itex] for each [itex] i=1,2,...,n [/itex]. Let [itex] \theta [/itex] be the angle between [itex] A' [/itex] and [itex] B' [/itex]. Notice that [itex] A\cdot B = A'\cdot B' [/itex], [itex] ||A|| = ||A'|| [/itex], [itex] ||B|| = ||B'|| [/itex], and [itex] A\cdot B > 0 [/itex]. Then [tex] A\cdot B = ||A||\,||B||\,\cos\theta \implies A\cdot B = ||A||\,||B||\,|\cos\theta| \leq ||A||\,||B|| [/tex] since [itex] 0\leq |\cos\theta|\leq 1 [/itex]. Then [itex] (A\cdot B)^2 \leq ||A||^2||B||^2 = (A\cdot A)(B\cdot B) [/itex]. This proves the inequality.

We now show that equality holds iff [itex] B = kA [/itex] for some [itex] k\in\mathbb{R} [/itex].

([itex] \Longrightarrow [/itex]) We prove this direction by the contrapositive. If [itex] B\neq k A [/itex] for any [itex] k\in\mathbb{R} [/itex], then [itex] B' \neq |k| A' [/itex]. Hence [itex] \theta \neq \alpha \pi [/itex] for any [itex] \alpha \in \mathbb{Z} [/itex]. Thus [itex] 0 < |\cos\theta| < 1 [/itex] and therefore [itex] A\cdot B < ||A||\,||B|| [/itex]. In other words, equality does not hold.

([itex] \Longleftarrow [/itex]) If [itex] A = kB [/itex] for some [itex] k\in\mathbb{R} [/itex], then [itex] B' = |k| A' [/itex]. Hence [itex] \theta = \alpha \pi [/itex] for some [itex] \alpha \in \mathbb{Z} [/itex]. Therefore [itex] \cos\theta = \pm 1 [/itex]. Thus equality holds.

Does this look okay?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2013 #2

verty

Homework Helper

I may have missed something but I think you redefine ##A \cdot B## then try to use the fact that ##A \cdot B = ||A||\,||B||\,\cos\theta##, but this is negative if the angle between them is obtuse.

4. Aug 7, 2013 #3
    But don't [itex] A',B' [/itex] still satisfy [itex] A'\cdot B' = ||A'||\,||B'||\,\cos\theta [/itex], where [itex] \theta [/itex] is the angle between [itex] A', B' [/itex]? As well, [itex] A\cdot B = A'\cdot B' [/itex], [itex] ||A|| = ||A'|| [/itex], and [itex] ||B|| = ||B'|| [/itex].

5. Aug 7, 2013 #4

verty

Homework Helper

Oh, you should call it ##\theta'## then, it is the angle between ##A'## and ##B'##, not between ##A## and ##B##.

6. Aug 7, 2013 #5
    Okay. I thought it was clear. Thanks for pointing that out!

Does the proof look okay, then?

7. Aug 7, 2013 #6

verty

Homework Helper

Well, you say the inequality is proved, but the original inequality has a square on the left. Something is amiss.

8. Aug 7, 2013 #7
    Edited. What do you tink?

9. Aug 7, 2013 #8

verty

Homework Helper

I think you're done. You were asked to prove the equality and I see no gaps. My work here is done :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted