Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cayley's Theorem (isomorphisms of Cyclics to SN)

1. Feb 9, 2015 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Any finite group [itex]G[/itex] with order [itex]|G| = N < \infty [/itex] is isomorphic ([itex] \cong [/itex] ) to a subgroup of the symmetric group [itex]S_N [/itex].

I have one question here, let's take the cyclic group of order three: [itex]C_3 = \{ e, c, c^2 \} [/itex]. By Cayley's theorem, this should be isomorphic to some subgroup of [itex]S_3 [/itex].
    The subgroups of [itex]S_3[/itex] are pretty definite, and they are also normal subgroups , created by the union of conjugacy classes. They are the [itex] \{ (.) \} [/itex] , [itex] S_3 [/itex] (both trivial) and the union of [itex] \{ (.) \} \cup \{ (...) \}[/itex] which is the Alternating group [itex]A_3 [/itex].

Is it correct to say then that [itex]C_3 \cong A_3 [/itex] ? the orders seem to match.

On the other hand what happens if I go for example to [itex]C_4 [/itex] ? In that case the subgroups of [itex]S_4[/itex] will be:

1. [itex] \{ e \}[/itex]
    2. [itex] S_4 [/itex]
    3. [itex] \{ (.) \} \cup \{ (..)(..) \} \cong C_2 \times C_2 [/itex]
    4. [itex] \{ (.) \} \cup \{ (...) \} \cup \{ (..)(..) \} \cong A_4[/itex]

My problem is that in this case, the only "order" which matches is the [itex]C_2 \times C_2[/itex], But I don't think that the Klein 4-group is isomorphic to the cyclic group, because the orders of the elements don't match. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2015 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

are you familiar with cycle notation? isn't (1234) a cycle of order 4, generating a cyclic subgroup of S4 of order 4? e.g. take the subgroup of permutations of the 4 vertices of a square, generated by the rotations of the square about its center, through multiples of 90 degrees.

the problem seems to be with your claim: " In that case the subgroups of S4 will be:...."

And you probably meant to post this in the abstract algebra section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook