1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CDF of a function of 2 random variables

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two toys are started at the same time each with a different battery. The first battery has a lifetime that is exponentially distributed with mean 100 min; the second battery has a lifetime that is Rayleigh-distributed with a mean 100 minutes.

a) Find the CDF to the time T until the battery in a toy first runs out
    b) Suppose that both toys are still operational at 100 minutes. Find the CDF of the time T2 that subsequently elapses until the battery in a toy first runs out
    c) in part b, find the cdf to the total time that elapses until a battery first fails.

2. Relevant equations

Exponential Dist

[itex]f(T) = \lambda e^{-\lambda T}[/itex]
    [itex] F(T) = 1 - e^{-\lambda T}[/itex]

Rayleigh-dist

[itex]f(T) = \frac{T}{\alpha^2} e^{\frac{-T}{2\alpha^2}}[/itex]
    [itex]F(T) = 1 - e^{\frac{-T}{2\alpha^2}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I calculated values for lambda and alpha based on the means ... but this part isn't entirely necessary to the final solution.

a) I need to find the cdf of the function:

[itex] T = min(T_1,T_2)[/itex]

where [itex]T_1[/itex] and [itex]T_2[/itex] are the two RV's respectively... but I'm really at a loss about how to proceed.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?