Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CDF of correlated mixed random variables

1. Dec 30, 2013 #1
    Hello,

i m trying to evaluate the following:

r*x - r*y ≤ g, where r,x,y are nonnegative random variables of different distribution families and g is a constant nonnegative value.

Then, Pr[r*x - r*y ≤ g] = Pr[r*x ≤ g + r*y] = ∫ Fr x(g + r*y)*fr*y(y) dy, where F(.) and f(.) denote CDF and PDF, respectively.

The above formula works for independent variables. I m not sure if it works for correlated variables (the above are correlated due to the "r" variable in both "r*x" and "r*y").

Any help would be useful.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would express the inequality as ##r(x-y) \leq g## and find the distribution for x-y first, afterwards you just have two variables left.

4. Dec 30, 2013 #3
    However, the distribution of (x-y) is unreachable..Is there an other way to solve the problem ?

Thanks

5. Dec 30, 2013 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I think you'll get a better answer if you explain completely what facts are known about the random variables.

6. Dec 30, 2013 #5
    Ok, assume that x and y are independent and identically distributed variables following a PDF as given bellow:
    fz(z)=Exp[-1/z]/(z^2), where z ε {x,y}

(Thus, they follow an inverse exponential distribution..)

7. Dec 30, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand what is unreachable about the difference of two of those distributions.
    I guess it is not a nice expression, but it is still something you can write down.

8. Dec 30, 2013 #7
    The difference of (x-y) when both of them (x and y) follow the above distribution (i.e., see fz(z)) can not be obtained in closed-form. Moreover, both x and y are i.i.d. and real positive random numbers.

What else...?

9. Dec 31, 2013 #8

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

What happens if x > y ?

10. Dec 31, 2013 #9
    Ok, assume that (x-y) ≥ 0, and thus r*(x-y) ≥ 0.

Thanks

11. Dec 31, 2013 #10

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

If that is assumed then x and y are not independent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook