1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of Mass boat distance from shore what am I doing wrong?

1. Mar 16, 2012 #1
    Problem: A symmetrical rowboat, mass M = 116 kg, length L = 6.89 m, points toward the shore. A man, mass m = 90 kg, stands in the back of the boat, distance d = 35.7 m from the shore. If the man now walks to the front of the boat, how far will he be from the shore?

Here is what I did:

Selected 0 as origin at shoreline:

Center of mass when man is in back of boat = [(90)(6.89) + (116)(3.445)] / (90 + 116) = 4.95 meters

When man is in front of boat he is distance d from shore and boat is distance d + 3.445:
    Center of mass = [90d + 116(d + 3.445)] / (90 + 116) = 4.95
    d = 3.01; so when man moves from back to front displacement is 3.01 m

So distance from shore is 35.7 + 3.01 = 38.7 m. But this answer is wrong. So what am I doing wrong???

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

The man was walking towards the shore, not away from the shore, so he will be closer that 35.7, not further.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook