1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass / momentum chain

1. Dec 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given: A uniform flexible chain whose mass
    is 4.1 kg and length is 5 m. A table whose top
    is frictionless.
    Initially you are holding the chain at rest
    and one-half of the length of the chain is hung
    over the edge of the table. When you let loose
    of the chain it falls downward.
    The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2
    Find the acceleration a of the chain when
    the length of the chain hanging vertically is
    3.6 m: Answer in units of m/s2.

2. Relevant equations
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well Im not exactly sure to figure this out, but it seems as if it would be extremely easy to do seeing as how the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8. Unfortunatly this is wrong but I have yet to figure out what other force would be giving it an acceleration other than 9.8

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2007 #2
    Any help would be much appreciated.

4. Dec 6, 2007 #3
    Alrighty well thank you very much for helping. The second part of the question is asking for the velocity at that point. Rather than an answer could anyone help me with what to start with for this point seeing as how the acceleration is varying. Thanks.

5. Dec 6, 2007 #4
    Sorry, I think I was wrong. I'm not entirely sure why the acceleration isn't just g. If nothing else it should be constant

6. Dec 6, 2007 #5
    Actually you were right lol. I calculated the hanging mass when there is that much of the chain hanging. I got 2.9252kg the divided that by the entire mass and came out with the correct answer for the acceleration. Now all I need is how to find the velocity at that point.

7. Dec 7, 2007 #6

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?