What is the force exerted by a falling chain on a table?

In summary, the problem is to find the force exerted by a flexible chain, with mass M and length L, on a table as it falls and coils up. The momentum of a small length of chain falling at velocity v is dp=dl*v. The chain is uniform, so the mass per length is constant. The length on the table and its rate of change can be found first from free fall. The force F exerted by the chain on the table can then be calculated using the equation F=dp/dt=Mv+Mv'. Integration may be necessary to find the mass per unit length.
Jordan&physics

Homework Statement

1. (30 points) A very flexible uniform chain of mass M and length L consisting of very small links is suspended from one end so that it hangs vertically, the lower end just touching the surface of a table. The upper end is suddenly released so that the chain falls onto the table and coils up in a small heap, each link coming to rest the instant that it strikes the table.

Find: (a) The force F exerted by the chain on the table at any instant, in terms of the weight of the chain already on the table at that moment.

When the chain falls, we know that T=0, and net force is Mg

Homework Equations

F=dp/dt=Mv +Mv'

Possibly CM?
R=(m1r1+m2r2)/(m1+r1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that we need to solve for the actual mass of the chain hitting the table as a function of its acceleration g, and that we need to likely integrate to find mass per unit length, so my attempt at this equation was
M/L=dL/dt
Mdt=dL*L

Then, once mass per unit length was found, we could put it in for M in the equation F=dp/dt=Mv +Mv', and solve for F. I'm just not quite sure I'm on the right track. My calculus teacher deliberately avoided applications in physics, so I'm really having a rough time setting up the differentials. *Note, we have to use Newtonian methods, not lagrange or hamiltonian. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is a good place to start. What is the momentum ## dp ## of a small length of chain ## dl ## falling at velocity ## v ##?

The chain is uniform, mass per length is constant. The length on the table (and its rate of change) is not constant, but you can find it first from free fall.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In simpler terms, it is the quantity of motion an object has.

2. How do you calculate the momentum of a falling chain?

To calculate the momentum of a falling chain, you need to know its mass and velocity. The formula for momentum is mass multiplied by velocity. So, for a falling chain, you would multiply the mass of the chain by its velocity as it falls.

3. Does the length of the chain affect its momentum?

No, the length of the chain does not affect its momentum. The mass and velocity of the chain are the only factors that contribute to its momentum.

4. Is momentum conserved in a falling chain?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a falling chain, the momentum of the chain is conserved as it falls.

5. How does the velocity of a falling chain change over time?

The velocity of a falling chain changes over time because of the force of gravity pulling on it. As the chain falls, its velocity will increase due to the acceleration of gravity until it reaches its terminal velocity, the maximum speed it can reach while falling.