Center of mass of a solid hemisphere (where's the error)?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the center of mass of a solid hemisphere and the different results obtained by two different methods. The correct result is 3R/8, but there was some confusion about the thickness of the small element used in the calculation.
rahul.mishra
On finding the center of mass of a solid hemisphere i came up with some different result.

Here's what i did...

consider a small ring at a distance r from the center of the hemisphere and one more ring at a distance
of r+dr from center of the ring.

let, mass of the small element formed by the two rings be dm
so,

dm = http://data.artofproblemsolving.com/images/latex/1/8/9/189c6482a7f0b088a7d84607b3df5837533486eb.gif

Clearly by symmetry w.r.t origin taken Xcm = 0

now, Ycm = 1/M http://data.artofproblemsolving.com/images/latex/f/4/e/f4e81964f7df0126c6c05827f0d5f0b972fc5f45.gif = 1/M http://data.artofproblemsolving.com/images/latex/9/a/a/9aabc0767384d5b00970c757ff71f80cd37d11eb.gif

but we all know this is maybe absurd... its 3R/8 actually...

don't give me an alternate way... i know it gives the right result...
but where am i wrong in my soln?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You made a little error: the thickness of the disk is not

$$
r d\theta
$$

but

$$
r\sin \theta d\theta
$$
- the disk has its height in y direction.

ya... got it.. but the thickness of the small element is rcosθdθ and not rsinθdθ maybe. I am quite sure as it gave me the correct result :) !

Ah, you're right, it's cos theta.

There appears to be an error in your calculation for the Y-coordinate of the center of mass. The correct expression for Ycm should be 1/M * http://data.artofproblemsolving.com/images/latex/9/a/a/9aabc0767384d5b00970c757ff71f80cd37d11eb.gif , where M is the total mass of the hemisphere. This can be derived by considering the moment of inertia of a solid hemisphere and using the formula for the center of mass in terms of moments of inertia. Your expression for Ycm only considers the mass of the small element formed by the two rings, rather than the entire hemisphere. Therefore, your result of 3R/8 is incorrect. It is important to consider the total mass of the object when calculating the center of mass.

1. What is the center of mass of a solid hemisphere?

The center of mass of a solid hemisphere is the point at which the entire mass of the hemisphere can be considered to be concentrated. It is the balancing point of the hemisphere where the weight is evenly distributed in all directions.

2. How is the center of mass calculated for a solid hemisphere?

The center of mass for a solid hemisphere can be calculated by finding the average of the x, y, and z coordinates of all the infinitesimal mass elements that make up the hemisphere. This is also known as the weighted average method.

3. Is the center of mass always located at the geometric center of a solid hemisphere?

No, the center of mass is not always located at the geometric center of a solid hemisphere. It depends on the density distribution of the hemisphere. If the density is uniform, then the center of mass will be located at the geometric center. However, if the density is not uniform, the center of mass will be shifted towards the denser regions.

4. What factors affect the location of the center of mass in a solid hemisphere?

The location of the center of mass in a solid hemisphere is affected by the density distribution, shape, and size of the hemisphere. It can also be influenced by external forces acting on the hemisphere, such as gravity or a magnetic field.

5. What are some possible errors that can occur when determining the center of mass of a solid hemisphere?

The main error that can occur when determining the center of mass of a solid hemisphere is assuming that the density is uniform when it is not. This can lead to an incorrect calculation of the center of mass. Other errors can include not considering external forces or using an inaccurate method of calculation.