Center of mass of a tank (military vehicle)

In summary, the toy tank has a platform that is 192mm long, 140mm wide, and weighs 2075 grams. The canon, which is 239mm long, 50mm wide, and weighs 400 grams, is assembled 58mm from the front side of the platform. The center of mass for the tank is 58mm above the platform, with the remaining 181mm hanging in the air. To find the center of mass, the equation X=(x1 m1 + x2 m2) / (m1+m2) can be used, where x1 and x2 are the distances from an end of
fondrika

Homework Statement

a toy which have a shape of tank (military vehicle) has a platform of 192mm long, 140mm wide, weight of 2075grams. The canon is 239mm long, 50mm wide, and weight of 400grams. the canon is on top of the platform and being assembled 58mm from the front side of platform.
where is the center of mass of it?
where is the center of mass if the canon rotate 90 degree?
where is the center of mass if the canon rotate 180 degree?

the canon is 58mm on top of the platform and the rest (239-58) 181mm is hanging in the air

The Attempt at a Solution

i really have no idea how to find it...

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi fondrika! welcome to pf! :smile:

what equations do you know for the centre of mass of a body made up of two parts?

i don't know an equations for CoM of a body made up of two parts...
i had just start learning center of mass.. but somehow i want to learn finding a center of mass of a body like that... but seems i don't know how... haha

what equations do you know for centre of mass? :confused:

x = (x1 m1 * x2 m2) / (m1+m2)

fondrika said:
x = (x1 m1 * x2 m2) / (m1+m2)

no, x = (x1 m1 + x2 m2) / (m1+m2) :wink:

ok, now apply that to the problem …

what do you get? :smile:

oh yeah.. a lil mistake on the equation.. haha
but which one is the x1 and x2? and there are no gap betwen each part...

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

x1 and x2 are the centres of mass of the two parts

where are they? :smile:

(and you're going to need y1 y2 z1 and z2 also)

logically i now where the center of mass of each part. its just half of the wide and length isn't it?
is there any equation for to find the center of mass from a single part? or just use the the equation of X=(x1 m1 + x2 m2) / m1+m2 ?
if it is then the m1 and m2 will be the same? and which one is the x1 and x2?

btw thanks a lot for helping me...

fondrika said:
logically i now where the center of mass of each part. its just half of the wide and length isn't it?

yes :smile:
just use the the equation of X=(x1 m1 + x2 m2) / m1+m2 ?
if it is then the m1 and m2 will be the same? and which one is the x1 and x2?

yes, but each m is the mass (given in the question) of that particular part :wink:

What is the center of mass of a tank?

The center of mass of a tank is the point at which its mass is evenly distributed, meaning that it is the point where the tank would balance on a pivot.

Why is the center of mass important for a tank?

The center of mass is important for a tank because it affects its stability and maneuverability. If the center of mass is too high, the tank may be more prone to tipping over, while if it is too low, it may have difficulty moving over rough terrain.

How is the center of mass calculated for a tank?

The center of mass for a tank can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual masses of its components. This can be done using mathematical equations or through physical experiments.

Can the center of mass change for a tank?

Yes, the center of mass of a tank can change depending on its load and configuration. For example, if a tank is carrying heavy ammunition, its center of mass may shift towards the rear.

What are the implications of an off-center center of mass for a tank?

An off-center center of mass can significantly affect the stability and maneuverability of a tank. It may make the tank more susceptible to tipping over or cause it to handle differently, potentially impacting its performance in combat situations.