1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass with one object moving

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two objects are on a stick where one is stuck in place and the other one can slide. Both objects have the same mass and the stick has negligible mass.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] COM = \frac{m_1 x_1 + m_2x_2}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]
    [tex] v_1 = t [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex] COM = \frac{m_1 \int v_1 + m_2x_2}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]

Would this be correct assuming that the starting point for measuring x1 and x2 would be the left side? Thanks

Attached Files:

• COM.jpg
      COM.jpg
      File size:
      3.9 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2
    I would be a little careful here. You need to know the initial position of the moving mass:
    [tex]\frac{m_1\left (\int v_1(t) \,dt +x_1(0) \right ) + m_2x_2}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]
    where x_1(t) is a function of time and x_1(0) is the constant of integration.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  4. Apr 2, 2012 #3
    Thanks for responding. Ahh yes good point. Adding your part, would that be correct? I just made up the problem which is why I'm a little unsure of the conceptual part.

5. Apr 2, 2012 #4
    I believe it is all right. The equation gives the center of mass as a function of time.

6. Apr 3, 2012 #5
    Ok cool. Thanks for your help. By the way.. Roshan from DotA? :wink:

7. Apr 3, 2012 #6
    Yes. DotA 2 now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook