When the spring is maximally extended, find v_1f

In summary, when a mass m_1 collides with and sticks to a spring attached to a stationary mass m_2, the two masses continue to move to the right with a final velocity of v_f = m_1v_0/(m_1+m_2). The spring will then oscillate and at the point of maximum extension, both masses will have zero kinetic energy and will move with the center of mass velocity. Using F = ma for both masses can help determine their velocities at this point.
JessicaHelena

Homework Statement

A mass m_1, initially moving at a speed v_0, collides with and sticks to a spring attached to a second, initially stationary mass m_2. The two masses continue to move to the right on a frictionless surface as the length of the spring oscillates. At the instant that the spring is maximally extended, the velocity of the first mass is...?

Homework Equations

p_i = p_f
E_i = E_f

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially, there's only m_1 moving, so p_i = m_1v_0.
When the masses collide and stick together, assuming the spring to be massless, they will travel at a final velocity v_f together (so v_f is the velocity of the center of mass), and p_f = (m_1+m_2)*v_f.

Equating p_i and p_f, we get that v_f = m_1v_0/(m_1+m_2).

However, I'm not sure how to carry on from here, with the spring oscillating. This sounds like m_2 might have a greater velocity and m_1 a little less at some times and other times m_1 might have more velocity than m_2 does, but how can I figure this out definitely?

Attachments

• IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 279
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure about this, but my first guess would be:

-from p_i=p_f you can get the center of mass velocity
-we go into the intertial system that moves with the center of mass velocity
-in this frame, the system does not move to the right anymore, the masses only oscillate. At the point where the spring is maximally extended, both masses have zero kinetic energy. That means, in the absolute inertial system, both will move with the center of mass velocity at this point.

I don't think either energy nor momentum conservation will help.
I suggest F = ma for m1 and m2.

1. What does "spring maximally extended" mean in this context?

When a spring is maximally extended, it means that it has reached its maximum length and is at its highest level of tension or potential energy. This typically occurs when the spring is stretched to its limit and cannot be stretched any further.

2. How do you calculate v_1f?

To calculate v_1f, you will need to use the formula v_1f = v_1i + at, where v_1f is the final velocity, v_1i is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. You will also need to know the initial and final positions of the spring to determine the displacement (s) in the formula s = v_1i*t + 0.5*a*t^2.

3. How is the velocity of the spring related to its extension?

The velocity of the spring is directly related to its extension. As the spring is extended, the velocity increases due to the increase in potential energy. However, once the spring reaches its maximum extension, the velocity will decrease as the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.

4. Can the velocity of the spring be negative?

Yes, the velocity of the spring can be negative. This occurs when the spring is being compressed instead of extended. In this case, the initial velocity would be positive and the final velocity would be negative.

5. How does the mass of the object attached to the spring affect the final velocity?

The mass of the object attached to the spring does not directly affect the final velocity. However, it does affect the acceleration and therefore the time it takes for the spring to reach its maximum extension. The heavier the object, the longer it will take for the spring to reach its maximum extension and the lower the final velocity will be.