Central Limit Theorem and Standardized Sums

And you are right that it approaches a normal distribution with mean 0 and standard deviation 1. (I'm not sure what the word "belive" is supposed to be.)In summary, the Central Limit Theorem states that for a set of n independent random variables with the same distribution function, finite mean, and finite variance, their sum will be approximately normally distributed with mean n\mu and standard deviation \sqrt{n}\sigma. By converting this to the standard normal distribution, we can calculate the probability of the sum being between two values, a and b. While the two probabilities are not exactly equal, they are approximately equal and the larger the sample size n is, the better the approximation will be. This
caffeine
I don't think I *really* understand the Central Limit Theorem.

Suppose we have a set of [itex]n[/itex] independent random variables [itex]\{X_i\}[/itex] with the same distribution function, same finite mean, and same finite variance. Suppose we form the sum [itex]S_n = \sum_{i=1}^n X_i[/itex]. Suppose I want to know the probability that [itex]S_n[/itex] is between a and b. In other words, I want to know [itex]P(b > S_n > a)[/itex].

The central limit theorem uses a standardized sum:

[tex]
P\left(b > \frac{ \sum_{i=1}^n X_i - n\mu}{\sqrt{n}\sigma} > a\right)
= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_a^b e^{-y^2/2} \, dy
[/tex]

What is the relationship between what I want:

[tex]P(b > S_n > a)[/tex]

and what the central limit theorem tells me about:

[tex]P\left(b > \frac{ \sum_{i=1}^n X_i - n\mu}{\sqrt{n}\sigma} > a\right)[/tex]How can they possibly be equal? If they are equal, how is that possible? And if they're not equal, how would I get what I want?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
caffeine said:
I don't think I *really* understand the Central Limit Theorem.

Suppose we have a set of [itex]n[/itex] independent random variables [itex]\{X_i\}[/itex] with the same distribution function, same finite mean, and same finite variance. Suppose we form the sum [itex]S_n = \sum_{i=1}^n X_i[/itex]. Suppose I want to know the probability that [itex]S_n[/itex] is between a and b. In other words, I want to know [itex]P(b > S_n > a)[/itex].

The central limit theorem uses a standardized sum:

[tex]
P\left(b > \frac{ \sum_{i=1}^n X_i - n\mu}{\sqrt{n}\sigma} > a\right)
= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_a^b e^{-y^2/2} \, dy
[/tex]
No, the Central Limit Theorem does not use a standardized sum. (At least it doesn't have to. I can't speak for whatever textbook you are using.)

Essentially, the Central Limit Theorem says that if we consider all possible samples of size n from a distribution having finite mean, [itex]\mu[/itex], and finite standard deviation, [itex]\sigma[/itex], then their sum will be approximately normally distributed with mean [itex]n\mu[/itex] and standard distribution [itex]\sqrt{n}\sigma[/itex]- and the larger n is the better that approximation will be.

What is the relationship between what I want:

[tex]P(b > S_n > a)[/tex]

and what the central limit theorem tells me about:

[tex]P\left(b > \frac{ \sum_{i=1}^n X_i - n\mu}{\sqrt{n}\sigma} > a\right)[/tex]

How can they possibly be equal? If they are equal, how is that possible? And if they're not equal, how would I get what I want?
Well, they are not equal- they are approximately equal.

Assuming that your base distribution has mean [itex]\mu[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\sigma[/itex], then Sn is approximately normally distributed with mean [itex]n\sigma[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\sqrt{n}\sigma[/itex]. You then convert from that to the standard normal distribution (with mean 0 and standard deviation 1) as you probably have learned before:
[tex]z= \frac{x- \mu}{\sigma}[/tex]
In particular, take x= Sn, a< S_n< b becomes [itex]a- n\mu< S_n-n\mu< b-n\mu[/itex] and then
[tex]\frac{a-n\mu}{\sqrt{n}\sigma}< \frac{S_n- n\mu}{\sqrt{n}\sigma}< \frac{b- n\mu}{\sqrt{n}\sigma}[/tex]

Look up those values in a standardized normal distribution table.

HallsofIvy said:
Essentially, the Central Limit Theorem says that if we consider all possible samples of size n from a distribution having finite mean, [itex]\mu[/itex], and finite standard deviation, [itex]\sigma[/itex], then their sum will be approximately normally distributed with mean [itex]n\mu[/itex] and standard distribution [itex]\sqrt{n}\sigma[/itex]- and the larger n is the better that approximation will be.

This is famous as Lindeberg-Levy CLT. I am not sure but I have a doubt about the terms "all possible samples"... essentially, for a sequence of independently and identically distributed random variables with same mean [itex]\mu[/itex] and same finite sd [itex]\sigma[/itex], the quantity (sum of n variables - n[itex]\mu[/itex])/[itex]\sqrt{n}\sigma[/itex] should asymptotically follow normal distribution with mean 0 and standard deviation 1(belive "distribution" is a typing mistake).

Last edited:
Yes, I meant "all possible samples" for a specific distribution- therefore "independently and identically distributed"

You are right that I mean "standard deviation", not "standard distribution"!

What is the Central Limit Theorem?

The Central Limit Theorem states that when independent random variables are added, their sum tends toward a normal distribution, regardless of the distribution of the individual variables.

How does the Central Limit Theorem apply to standardized sums?

The Central Limit Theorem can be used to calculate the probability of obtaining a specific standardized sum, which is the sum of a set of values divided by the standard deviation of the set.

Why is the Central Limit Theorem important in statistics?

The Central Limit Theorem allows us to make inferences about a population based on a sample, even if the population is not normally distributed. It is a fundamental concept in statistics and is used in various statistical tests and models.

What are the assumptions of the Central Limit Theorem?

The Central Limit Theorem assumes that the random variables are independent, have finite variances, and are identically distributed. It also assumes that the sample size is sufficiently large.

How can the Central Limit Theorem be applied in real-world scenarios?

The Central Limit Theorem is commonly used in quality control, market research, and other areas where large sets of data are analyzed. It allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about a population based on a sample, which can be useful in decision making and problem solving.