• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Central potential in quantum mechanics

• Thread starter Bavon
  • Start date
Hi all,
I'm new to his forum. I'm having trouble with the following question on central potentials. It's an exercise from (Bransden and Joachain, Introduction to quantum mechanics).

Homework Statement

Suppose V(r) is a central potential, expand around r=0 as [tex]V(r)=r^p(b_0+b_1r+\ldots).[/tex] When p=-2 and [tex]b_0<0[\tex], show that physically acceptable solutions exist only when [tex]b_0>-\frac{\hbar}{8\mu}[/tex]

Homework Equations

R(r) is the radial component of the wave function
[tex]u(r)=r^{-1}R(r)=r^s\sum{c_kr^k}[/tex] is a solution of
[tex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2\mu}\frac{d^2u(r)}{dr^2}+V_{eff}u(r)=Eu(r)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The effective potential is [tex]r^{-2}(b_0+\frac{l(l+2)\hbar^2}{2\mu}+b_1r+\ldots)[/tex]

When p>-2, the case that is discussed in the text book, they compare the lowest order terms in the radial Schroedinger equation. For p=-2, I get:

The lowest order term of [tex]\frac{d^2u}{dr^2}=s(s-1)r^{s-2}\sum{c_kr^k}[/tex]
The lowest order term of [tex]V_{eff}(r)u(r)=(b_0+\frac{l(l+2)\hbar^2}{2\mu})r^{s-2}\sum{c_kr^k}[/tex]

The difference is apparently that [tex]b_0[/tex] appears in the lowest order terms.

Now I need some constraint that excludes non-physical solutions. For p>-2, that is u(0)=0. But for [tex]b_0<0[/tex] that can't be used. Because the potential is attracting, I think the probability of finding a particle at the origin should be positive. The problem is I can't think of any constraint that should be imposed, that could limit the allowed values of [tex]b_0[/tex].

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Answers and Replies

I solved this myself. It was so easy after all!

Dear Bavon
Would u please help me to solve this problem too?
thanks
I am looking forward for ur reply. It is an emergency situation!

Last edited:
If I decyphered my notes from almost 3 years ago correctly, I constructed an equation in [tex]s[/tex], and then expressed that it should have real solutions.

How can I undrestand that an equation have real solutions?
thanks