Centrifugal Force Experienced at the Earth's North Pole

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of centrifugal force and gravity on a person standing at the equator and at the pole. At the equator, the centrifugal force is balanced by the gravity force, but at the pole, the centrifugal force has a component parallel to the ground due to the Earth's rotation. However, this force is not experienced due to the normal force of the Earth on our feet. The conversation also explores the concept of centrifugal force and its comparison to other forces such as the Coriolis force. The acceleration caused by the centrifugal force is very small, but it can still affect our balance and motion.
Mohammad Fajar
If we standing in the equator, then centrifugal force caused by Earth rotation directly balanced by gravity force. But what if we standing in the high altitude or in the pole? In the pole at the distance like 40 km from north pole (so the north pole inside the horizon plane), the gravity have no component parallel to the ground, because gravity perpendicular to the ground, so we don't have experienced force by gravity to the left, right, back, or front. But the Earth rotation makes us experienced centrifugal force that have component (projection) parallel to the ground. So at this distance we must travel with linear speed like 2 m/s. But why we never experienced this centrifugal force at the pole?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mohammad Fajar said:
If we standing in the equator, then centrifugal force caused by Earth rotation directly balanced by gravity force.
Don't forget the normal force of the Earth on your feet. The centrifugal force at the equator is quite small. (And much less near the poles, of course.)

Mohammad Fajar said:
So at this distance we must travel with linear speed like 2 m/s. But why we never experienced this centrifugal force at the pole?

What acceleration do you calculate this causes? Compared to the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/sec^2)? Try the calculation. I get a very tiny number.

Mohammad Fajar said:
because gravity perpendicular to the ground
But is gravity, in fact, perpendicular to the ground? The ground, on average, follows a "level" that is perpendicular to the combined effect of gravity and centrifugal force. In general, it will not be perpendicular to gravity.

The radius of the Earth on a line from center to pole is less by about 32 km than the radius of the Earth on a line from center to equator. On average, the ground follows an equipotential surface that slopes downward toward the pole at an angle that is always just enough to compensate for centrifugal force at the local latitude.

The force of apparent gravity is perpendicular [on average] to the local surface.

Last edited:
@Mohammad Fajar ,

Is it possible that you are using the wrong word in your question. You said centrifugal force, but are you really asking about the Coriolis Force? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_force The Coriolis force makes hurricanes, cyclones and typhoons spin around in spirals.

If not, then I don't understand your question. The only component of gravity is from you to the center of the earth. It is perpendicular to the surface in most places. That is true at the poles and at the equator.

Likes sophiecentaur
Doc Al said:
Don't forget the normal force of the Earth on your feet. The centrifugal force at the equator is quite small. (And much less near the poles, of course.)
If we ride a Merry Go Round, even if it have a normal force that balanced our weight, we still experienced centrifugal force.

anorlunda said:
@Mohammad Fajar ,

Is it possible that you are using the wrong word in your question. You said centrifugal force, but are you really asking about the Coriolis Force? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_force The Coriolis force makes hurricanes, cyclones and typhoons spin around in spirals.

If not, then I don't understand your question. The only component of gravity is from you to the center of the earth. It is perpendicular to the surface in most places. That is true at the poles and at the equator.

Gravity perpendicular to the ground. But there is still centrifugal force if we travel at circle path. And in the pole our rotation plane not concentric with gravitation plane.

Mohammad Fajar said:
If we ride a Merry Go Round, even if it have a normal force that balanced our weight, we still experienced centrifugal force.

You are now turning things into what it is not.

On the merry-go-round, the normal force (and gravity) is perpendicular to the "centrifugal force".

This is different than the case of us standing at the equator. Here, the normal force (and gravity) is co-linear with the "centrifugal force", not perpendicular!

So you are comparing apples to oranges here.

BTW, why are we dealing in "centrifugal force" here? Are we trying to sharpen our skills in dealing with fictitious forces?

Zz.

gmax137 said:
What acceleration do you calculate this causes? Compared to the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/sec^2)? Try the calculation. I get a very tiny number.
But it is still effected our motion. We will lost our balance. Gravity with acceleration 9.8 m/s^2 will cause a very strong force, like what we experienced when we hanging in the tree. But a small acceleration still make a significant force that can be our experienced.

ZapperZ said:
You are now turning things into what it is not.

On the merry-go-round, the normal force (and gravity) is perpendicular to the "centrifugal force".

This is different than the case of us standing at the equator. Here, the normal force (and gravity) is co-linear with the "centrifugal force", not perpendicular!

So you are comparing apples to oranges here.

BTW, why are we dealing in "centrifugal force" here? Are we trying to sharpen our skills in dealing with fictitious forces?

Zz.
Not at the equator, but at the pole. The centrifugal force have a projection (component) that parallel to the ground. And this component of force perpendicular to the normal/gravity force. So there is a net force that perpendicular to the gravity force. Say in y-axis there is gravity and normal force so both cancel out. But in x-axis the centrifugal not cancel out by any other force.

Mohammad Fajar said:
We will lost our balance.

really? What is the magnitude of the acceleration? Show me the number xx m/sec^2.

Likes Dale and russ_watters
gmax137 said:
really? What is the magnitude of the acceleration? Show me the number xx m/sec^2.
it is around 0.06 m/s^2. Dont compare that with Earth gravity acceleration.

Mohammad Fajar said:
Not at the equator, but at the pole. The centrifugal force have a projection (component) that parallel to the ground. And this component of force perpendicular to the normal/gravity force. So there is a net force that perpendicular to the gravity force. Say in y-axis there is gravity and normal force so both cancel out. But in x-axis the centrifugal not cancel out by any other force.

Actually, technically, NO. Right at the pole, you have "centrifugal forces" acting equally in all directions, meaning that they cancel out to be zero! This force is largest at the equator and goes to zero at the poles!

You have a very severe misunderstanding of this physics.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Actually, technically, NO. Right at the pole, you have "centrifugal forces" acting equally in all directions, meaning that they cancel out to be zero! This force is largest at the equator and goes to zero at the poles!

You have a very severe misunderstanding of this physics.

Zz.

Sory, centrifugal force always act outward the axis of rotation.

Mohammad Fajar said:
Let's get specific. You're standing at the north pole. (Silly, I know, but I'm trying to understand your issue.) You hold a book in your outstretched hand. Please estimate the centrifugal force you'd feel.

If a man stands at the pole, he rotates around his own vertical axis once every 24 hours. If he extends his arms, there will be a centrifugal force on his hands. Is that what you are asking about?

The magnitude of that force would be very small, almost too small to measure.

Edit: I see @Doc Al beat me to the answer.

Mohammad Fajar said:

Yeah, so? The axis of rotation points vertically UP (or down) at the poles. If you think this is the direction of the "centrifugal force", then you are very mistaken, and re-enforces my claim that you have a severe misunderstanding of this concept.

Centrifugal force is ZERO at the poles.

Zz.

Doc Al said:
Let's get specific. You're standing at the north pole. (Silly, I know, but I'm trying to understand your issue.) You hold a book in your outstretched hand. Please estimate the centrifugal force you'd feel.
But if the Earth rotating if we place perfect ball in a flat surface, then the acceleration around 0.06 m/s^2 is enough to move that ball away from axis of rotation. If it have initial velocity 0 m/s then during an hour it will have velocity 216 m/s.

Mohammad Fajar said:
But if the Earth rotating if we place perfect ball in a flat surface, then the acceleration around 0.06 m/s^2 is enough to move that ball away from axis of rotation. If it have initial velocity 0 m/s then during an hour it will have velocity 216 m/s.
Are you talking about at the pole? Then please estimate the centrifugal force that the ball would experience. (Make some assumptions, similar to extending your arms to the side.)

I calculate a smaller number (0.0002 m/sec^2) for the 40 km case you described in the OP. Either way, what makes you think you can feel such a small acceleration? You might have to "lean in" a fraction of a degree to compensate.

Likes russ_watters
anorlunda said:
If a man stands at the pole, he rotates around his own vertical axis once every 24 hours. If he extends his arms, there will be a centrifugal force on his hands. Is that what you are asking about?

The magnitude of that force would be very small, almost too small to measure.

Edit: I see @Doc Al beat me to the answer.
He rotated around the Earth axis.

Mohammad Fajar said:
He rotated around the Earth axis.

The Earth axis and the axis in his body are co-linear when he is at the pole.

So you standing at the pole holding out a book (as @Doc Al suggested) will experience the same centrifugal force as you will by standing up right now, holding out a book, then using your feet to rotate your body one revolution per 24 hours.

gmax137 said:
I calculate a smaller number (0.0002 m/sec^2) for the 40 km case you described in the OP. Either way, what makes you think you can feel such a small acceleration? You might have to "lean in" a fraction of a degree to compensate.
can you post your calculation?
even if that have a small acceleation it still created a force. Just multiply that with an hour, 3600 second, and you will get that your velocity away from the Earth axis.

anorlunda said:
The Earth axis and the axis in his body are co-linear when he is at the pole.

So you standing at the pole holding out a book (as @Doc Al suggested) will experience the same centrifugal force as you will by standing up right now, holding out a book, then using your feet to rotate your body one revolution per 24 hours.
Not like that. If the Earth rotated, then if we place a perfect ball at the pole it will move away from the pole during course of the day.

Thread temporarily closed for moderation.

@Mohammad Fajar , if you want to continue this thread, send me a message. To do that, click on my name and then "start a conversation"

What is centrifugal force experienced at the Earth's North Pole?

Centrifugal force is the perceived outward force experienced by an object when it is moving in a curved path. At the Earth's North Pole, the centrifugal force is caused by the rotation of the Earth around its axis.

How is the centrifugal force calculated at the Earth's North Pole?

The centrifugal force at the Earth's North Pole can be calculated using the formula F = mv^2/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the Earth.

Is the centrifugal force at the Earth's North Pole the same as at the Equator?

No, the centrifugal force experienced at the North Pole is significantly less than at the Equator. This is because the radius of the Earth at the North Pole is smaller, making the v^2/r term smaller in the formula for centrifugal force.

What are the effects of centrifugal force at the Earth's North Pole?

The centrifugal force at the Earth's North Pole contributes to the flattening of the Earth at the poles and the bulging at the Equator. It also affects the Earth's rotation and influences the direction of winds and ocean currents.

Can humans feel the centrifugal force at the Earth's North Pole?

No, humans cannot feel the centrifugal force at the Earth's North Pole because it is a perceived force and not an actual physical force acting on our bodies. However, the Earth's rotation does have an effect on our weight, as it contributes to the gravitational pull towards the center of the Earth.