1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centrifugal speed (MPH) converted to G's

1. Nov 15, 2015 #1
    HI, let's save introductions till later, I'd like to get right to it.

two questions:

If a person weighs 100 lbs and is on a centrifuge spinning at 1,000 MPH, what is the G-force exerted by his body?
    If a person weighs 100 lbs and is on a centrifuge spinning at 500 MPH, what is the G-force exerted by his body?

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't spin in "miles per hour".

4. Nov 15, 2015 #3
    Hi F Mills:

You need to also know the radius of motion. How far from the axis of rotation are you?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_orbit .

Regards,
    Buzz

5. Nov 15, 2015 #4
    Yeah, that's the problem I'm getting when googling speed to G force calculators, can you do some conversions and come up with an answer, it's over my head.

6. Nov 15, 2015 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

See the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centripetal_force

And use F = mv^2/r. Be sure to keep your units consistent (like meters, kilograms and seconds).

What is the context of your question? Going to be flying a fighter jet soon and want to know what to expect? :smile:

7. Nov 15, 2015 #6
    3,959 miles (6,371 kilometers) one revolution per 23 hours 56 minutes and 4 seconds.

8. Nov 15, 2015 #7
    Calculating g force applied to 100 lb person on the equator of earth.

9. Nov 15, 2015 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook