Centripetal Acceleration along a curve

In summary: In this case, you don't need to find an equation of motion, or find the mass, because the information given is sufficient.
rexorsist
I've spent hours on this question:

A truck of mass 4500 kg is traveling in a fog due north at 20 m/s. Suddenly, at point A, the driver notices a wall straight ahead. He makes a sharp right turn along path AB, which is one-quarter of a circle of 50 m radius. He does this without any change in speed. From B to C he slows down uniformly, arriving at C with a velocity of 14 m/s [E]. The trip from A to C takes 5.8 seconds.

I made a diagram:

oMMRFgw.jpg

Calculate:

(a) the average acceleration of the truck from A to C,

(b) the average velocity of the truck as it travels from A to C.

I figured to find average velocity first, so I drew a line from point A to point C, and using the the equation of d=((V1-V2)/2)xT, I found the distance between B and C, and calculated the displacement from A to C. Then I divided it by change in Time (5.8s) to find velocity, giving me 16.53 m/s.

To find acceleration, I think I need to use the equation a=v^2/R. However, there is no radius since I extended the displacement.

Is what I'm doing correct? I desperately need help and can't determine if what I'm doing is right or wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are thinking only in terms of magnitudes - acceleration, velocity, and displacement, are all vectors.
How do you add and subtract vectors?

Note: you are told the radius of the turn. You just didn't draw it properly.

Simon Bridge said:
You are thinking only in terms of magnitudes - acceleration, velocity, and displacement, are all vectors.
How do you add and subtract vectors?

Note: you are told the radius of the turn. You just didn't draw it properly.

Yes, but in order to find the displacement between A and C, I drew a line connecting the two, forming a right angle triangle. The vertical distance to C was 50m. However, I used the motion equation to find the horizontal distance of the triangle. Then I calculated the hypotenuse to get a displacement value of 95.86 m. This was this divided by time to get velocity.

But since I extended the radius, I can't use it any more.

Am I making sense?

If not, can you give me some direction to figure out the acceleration?

You have found the magnitude of average velocity, but your answer is incomplete because velocity is a vector.

a = v^2/R applies for circular motion. Is the overall motion in your question circular?

Likes 1 person
rtsswmdktbmhw said:
You have found the magnitude of average velocity, but your answer is incomplete because velocity is a vector.

a = v^2/R applies for circular motion. Is the overall motion in your question circular?

No, its not circular when including C,..so does that mean that a=V^2/R doesn't apply in this case? So that means I would simply use a motion equation to determine acceleration?

Also, why is mass mentioned in the question? does it have a significance?

rexorsist said:
But since I extended the radius, I can't use it any more.
You don't need to extend the radius.

If not, can you give me some direction to figure out the acceleration?
eg. the average acceleration between A and C is the change in velocity over the change in time.
The velocities and times are given to you - no need to work out a displacement.

rexorsist said:
No, its not circular when including C,..so does that mean that a=V^2/R doesn't apply in this case?
v^2/r only applies for circular motion ... this is not circular motion, therefore ...

So that means I would simply use a motion equation to determine acceleration?
You could, that may work, or you could just apply the definition of average acceleration.
You will have something about that in your notes - probably quite early on in mechanics.

Usually ##\vec a_{ave}=\Delta\vec v/\Delta t,\;\vec v_{ave}=\Delta\vec s/\Delta t##.

Also, why is mass mentioned in the question? does it have a significance?
The problem is testing your understanding of what "average acceleration" and "average velocity" means.

There are a number of ways you could misunderstand the problem, some of which would need the mass. i.e. you could attempt to find an equation of motion using Newton's Laws. You could still end up with the correct answer though - so your teacher is being kind, sort of, by allowing you to explore the problem completely.

IRL: you often have more information than you need to solve a problem - so you need to learn to sort out the relevant from the irrelevant information.

What is centripetal acceleration along a curve?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that keeps an object moving in a circular path. When an object moves in a curve, the direction of its velocity changes, and this change in direction causes a centripetal acceleration.

What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration along a curve?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration along a curve is a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the curve.

How is centripetal acceleration along a curve related to centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are directly proportional to each other. The centripetal force is the force that causes the centripetal acceleration, and it is given by F = mv²/r, where m is the mass of the object.

What factors affect the magnitude of centripetal acceleration along a curve?

The magnitude of centripetal acceleration along a curve is affected by the velocity of the object, the radius of the curve, and the mass of the object. A higher velocity, smaller radius, or larger mass will result in a greater centripetal acceleration.

How does centripetal acceleration along a curve differ from tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle, whereas tangential acceleration is the acceleration along the tangent to the circle. Centripetal acceleration is always perpendicular to the velocity, while tangential acceleration is parallel to the velocity.