Centripetal Force and Uniform Circular Acceleration

In summary: Xo to Xo+the displacement of the mass due to centripetal force, ultimately to find the percentage of error and circular acceleration of the mass."In summary, the goal of the experiment is to measure the tension force required to stretch the spring to the point where it can no longer stretch, and to find out how fast the mass is rotating.
roberttk01
I am in need for some help for a lab report. The issue has happened because there is a lab of 20 students that is being led by a recently retired NASA physicist trying to lead a team of graduate student (or camel jockeys as he puts it) and the lab instructions are being botched horribly. Attached are some photos of diagrams that I have created along with data sheet that was provided in the lab. Can someone let me know if I am at least on the correct path and what the variables that I have pulled from my textbook correlate to with regard to the data sheet provided? Also, the writing and calculations on the data sheet are not my own, I am just using it to give an example of what I am confused of. Thank you.

Attachments

• Data Sheet.jpg
    Data Sheet.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 483
  • Diagram Extended.jpg
    Diagram Extended.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 632
  • Diagram Retracted.jpg
    Diagram Retracted.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK - I've looked at all three attachments and I have a fair idea of what is being attempted here. The best place for you to start is by describing the apparatus and how it operates using words.

i.e. it appears to be a turntable with a pendulum suspended from the edge - the pendulum bob is attached to the axle by a spring. As the turntable revolves - the bob swings away from the axle until what happens? (In terms of the tension in the string and the restoring force of the spring.)

How is the apparatus used in the experiment?
What is the aim of the experiment?

Well if you are getting at Hooke's Law and the spring's constant increasing at a linear rate until the spring cannot stretch anymore, I do not believe that that is it...

The procedure for the experiment went somewhat like:
1) Measure radius with spring disconnected to get an initial radius, then move the place marker 1/2*r away from the initial position (not shown in the pictures due to it being a benchmark stage)
2) Attach the spring between the hanging mass and the rotational shaft on one side, and on the other side attach a string, which is placed over a pulley so that you may visualize the tension force required to stretch the spring to the point [r+(1/2*r)].
*Now that I look at this, the tension force that I had of T=0.820N is incorrect as that was simple the weight, and the new tension force is T=8.24N
3) Detach the weighted string and return the mass to the initial position (spring still attached)
4) Rotate the shaft until the centripetal force is equal to that that of the radius [r+(1/2*r)]. Using a stopwatch, record the time it takes for the apparatus to rotate 50 rotations.

After this, I know that I need to calculate the rotation rate by dividing the average time by 50, then multiple the rotation rate by 2π in order to get ω. This is where I begin to get confused. I am confused in how to make a correlation in between the tension force exhibited by centripetal force and the weighted force that is measured by the benchmark at the beginning of the lab.

On a separate note, thank you for you quick response.

I forgot to answer your last two questions, although I am sure that you can probably extract that information from the procedure.
1) The apparatus is to spin the hanging weight, while a spring connects it to the rotating shaft, to measure the rotation rate after 50 revolutions.
2) The aim is supposed to display to relationship between the tension force required to stretch the spring from Xo to Xo+the displacement of the mass due to centripetal force, ultimately to find the percentage of error and circular acceleration of the mass.

Last edited:
roberttk01 said:
Well if you are getting at Hooke's Law and the spring's constant increasing at a linear rate until the spring cannot stretch anymore, I do not believe that that is it...
That's not what I'm getting at, no. I actually meant exactly what I said: you should proceed by describing the experiment in simple terms, using words (as opposed to math), and answer the questions. Which you did below:
I forgot to answer your last two questions, although I am sure that you can probably extract that information from the procedure.
1) The apparatus is to spin the hanging weight, while a spring connects it to the rotating shaft, to measure the rotation rate after 50 revolutions.
2) The aim is supposed to display to relationship between the tension force required to stretch the spring from Xo to Xo+the displacement of the mass due to centripetal force, ultimately to find the percentage of error and circular acceleration of the mass.

OK - so the answer to question 2. was
"The aim of the experiment is to verify the relationship between angular velocity and centripetal acceleration."

To do this you need two independent ways to get the centripetal acceleration.
One you get from the circular motion theory, which you are testing; and the other you get from a more reliable direct method, which has already been well established - like Newton's force law.

The method was to suspend a pendulum from a turntable.
You measure the angular speed and the radial displacement of the pendulum bob.

The radial displacement tells you the centripetal force.

To make the calculation easier - you are spinning the turntable+pendulum so a pre-chosen radial displacement has been produced. This is one where you have measure the force already ... that's what the mucking about with a spring was about.

Initially I thought you were spinning the whole thing with both string and spring attached.
Now I don't think you were supposed to do that so if you did, you have made some extra work for yourself.

Dear student,

I can understand your frustration with the lab instructions and the lack of clarity in the data sheet provided. It is important to have a clear understanding of the concepts of centripetal force and uniform circular acceleration in order to successfully complete this lab. Let me help you by providing some guidance on the variables and calculations involved.

Firstly, centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular motion, keeping an object in its circular path. This force is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its centripetal acceleration, which is the acceleration towards the center of the circle. The formula for calculating centripetal force is Fc = mv^2/r, where m is the mass, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

Uniform circular acceleration refers to the constant acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path at a constant speed. This acceleration is always directed towards the center of the circle and has a magnitude of v^2/r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the circle.

Looking at the data sheet provided, it seems that the lab is trying to measure the centripetal force and uniform circular acceleration of a mass attached to a string and spun in a circular motion. The variables listed in the data sheet are all related to this experiment. The mass of the object and the radius of the circular path are provided, and the velocity can be calculated using the given time and distance values.

I would suggest going back to your textbook and reviewing the concepts of centripetal force and uniform circular acceleration to gain a better understanding of the calculations involved. Also, make sure to carefully read the lab instructions and seek clarification from your instructor if needed. As for the diagrams and data sheet you have created, they seem to be on the right track. Just make sure to double-check your calculations and make any necessary corrections.

I hope this helps and good luck with your lab report. Remember, understanding the concepts is key to successfully completing any lab experiment. Keep up the good work!

Best regards,
[Your name]

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path and is directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular motion, preventing it from flying off in a straight line.

What is the relationship between centripetal force and uniform circular acceleration?

The relationship between centripetal force and uniform circular acceleration is that they are directly proportional to each other. This means that as centripetal force increases, the uniform circular acceleration also increases, and vice versa. This can be mathematically expressed as F = ma, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the uniform circular acceleration.

How is centripetal force calculated?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = mv^2/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula shows that centripetal force is directly proportional to the mass and velocity of the object, and inversely proportional to the radius of the circular path.

What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force and centrifugal force are often confused with each other, but they are actually two different forces. Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that appears to act on an object in a rotating reference frame. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather the result of inertia causing an object to resist changes in its motion.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

There are many real-life examples of centripetal force, such as the force that keeps a satellite in orbit around the Earth, the force that keeps a car moving around a curved track, and the force that keeps a rollercoaster on its track as it goes through loops and turns. Other examples include the force that keeps water in a bucket when it is swung in a circular motion and the force that keeps a tetherball moving in a circular path around a pole.