Centripetal force is resultant force?

In summary, the resultant force in a right-angled triangle is the sum of the forces acting on the two sides. The force on the hypotenuse, FC, is clearly marked as the resultant.
goldfish9776

Homework Statement

I know that centripetal is the resultant force acting to enable the a body to move in a circular path ... But , in the triangle , the R3 looks like the resultant force ..Can someone tell me which is the correct resultant force in this diagram ? What is R3 actually ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20150701_164009[1].jpg
    IMG_20150701_164009[1].jpg
    41 KB · Views: 515
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what your scribblings represent in the attached image.

Please post the entire problem statement for the problem you are trying to solve.

SteamKing said:
It's not clear what your scribblings represent in the attached image.

Please post the entire problem statement for the problem you are trying to solve.
this is a hand-written note actually .. In this note , we are asked to find the R3 , What is R3 actually ?

How can one tell what R3 is without knowing the necessary details of the problem? It's like me asking you what's the answer to the question without telling you the question. Please do what SteamKing asked.

goldfish9776 said:

Homework Statement

I know that centripetal is the resultant force acting to enable the a body to move in a circular path ... But , in the triangle , the R3 looks like the resultant force ..Can someone tell me which is the correct resultant force in this diagram ? What is R3 actually ?
You seem to think R3 is the resultant force just because it is the hypotenuse of the triangle. There is no such rule.
FC is clearly marked as the resultant of W and R3 (it's indicated by the double arrow).
As to what R3 is, there is no way to tell from these notes. Presumably there was some spoken background which you either missed or have failed to relate.

Edit: is this the same as https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/direction-of-reaction-force-in-a-circular-motion.821487/? Pls don't create two threads for one problem, even if you have multiple questions concerning it.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
You seem to think R3 is the resultant force just because it is the hypotenuse of the triangle. There is no such rule.
FC is clearly marked as the resultant of W and R3 (it's indicated by the double arrow).
As to what R3 is, there is no way to tell from these notes. Presumably there was some spoken background which you either missed or have failed to relate.

Edit: is this the same as https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/direction-of-reaction-force-in-a-circular-motion.821487/? Pls don't create two threads for one problem, even if you have multiple questions concerning it.
Or the triangle is wrongly drawn, causing me to confuse?

goldfish9776 said:
Or the triangle is wrongly drawn, causing me to confuse?
I cannot tell from this thread whether the triangle is correctly drawn. I see no reason to suppose it is wrong. Your question suggests to me you are still clinging to the notion that in a right-angled triangle the hypotenuse should be the resultant. Get that notion out of your head.

Likes goldfish9776

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, always directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object in circular motion, while centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to push an object away from the center of the circle.

3. What is the formula for calculating centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = (mv^2)/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. Can centripetal force change the speed of an object in circular motion?

No, centripetal force only changes the direction of an object's velocity, not its speed. The speed remains constant while the object is in circular motion.

5. How does centripetal force relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Centripetal force is an example of Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, which states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of circular motion, centripetal force is the external force that keeps the object moving in a circular path.