Centripetal Force Lab Questions?

In summary, the conversation was about a physics lab involving a contraption with a stopper, weights, and a spinning motion. The speaker had some questions regarding the experiment and requested help in understanding the concepts. The questions discussed the relationship between mass, velocity, and radius in regards to centripetal force, and the equation for centripetal force. The speaker provided their attempts at answering the questions, but acknowledged that their answers may not be correct.
master x964
So we did a lab in physics today and it was a contraption where we had a stopper on one get of the string, and weights on the other, and we spun the stopper around, and there's 4 questions that i don't under stand, so if you could help me with this, and please explain as i want to know how to do this, that'd be awesome!

Questions:

1. In an experiment using this apparatus the mass and centripetal force are kept constant, by how much must the velocity change to increase the radius a factor of four(4X)?

2. You calculated the acceleration of the stopper for both lengths. What factors determine the acceleration and rank the factors from greatest to least.

3. Suppose you find that a centripetal force of 12 Newtons is required to keep a given object in a particular circular path when it is moving with uniform speed. Assume you are able to double the mass, velocity, or radius individually at will.
a) What will the magnitude of the centripetal force be for each of these individual changes?

b) Which change modifies the centripetal force the most and why?

4) Write the equation for centripetal force in terms of: mass, revolutions, radius, and period (using any constants needed).
a) What effect would an error in time measurement have on the F in time was too large?
b) What effect on the calculated F would a radius have if the value used for radius was too small?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some evidence that you tried to work through these questions. Tell us what you know, the relevant information and where you are getting stuck.

ok here's my answers they probably AREN'T Correct so please don't base yours off of mine
1. 8 times

3a.

3b. The mass, and the velocity, the higher the mass the more higher of velocity you need to maintain the speed

4. F(of centripetal force) = m4(pi^2)rf^2

and I'm working on 2 and 3a ... still

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion and preventing it from flying off in a straight line.

How can centripetal force be calculated?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv²/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force in everyday life include the rotation of a washing machine, the motion of a car on a curved road, and the movement of satellites in orbit around the Earth.

What factors affect the strength of centripetal force?

The strength of centripetal force is affected by the mass of the object, the velocity of the object, and the radius of the circular path. A larger mass, higher velocity, or smaller radius will result in a stronger centripetal force.

How is centripetal force related to centrifugal force?

Centripetal force and centrifugal force are two equal and opposite forces that act on an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is often referred to as the "outward" force, but it is actually just an apparent force that arises from the object's inertia and its tendency to move in a straight line.