Centripetal force of a roller coaster car

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about centripetal force and a roller coaster car's speed at the top of a loop-the-loop. The formula used for other questions is F=mv^2/r, but the only known value is the diameter. It is suggested that since the apparent weight is the same as the true weight, the net force is zero and the mass is not needed. Any assistance with solving this problem is appreciated.
sdskater15
I got all the other centripetal force questions but this one has me stumped...

As a roller coaster car crosses the top of a 30m-diameter loop-the-loop, its apparent weight is the same as its true weight. What is the car's speed at the top?

The formula I used for all of the other questions was F=mv^2/r. The problem is the only number I have is the diameter (therefore radius). I'm guessing because the apparent weight is the same as true weight the net force is zero? There's also no way to get mass. Maybe there's another formula? Any assistance with this problem would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The true weight of something is [tex]F=mg[/tex], so then you don't need to figure out the mass.

Last edited:
If the apparent weight is the same as the true weight, then the passengers at the top of the loop are experiencing the equivalent of 1 g of force from their seats.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, always pointing towards the center of the circle.

How does centripetal force work in a roller coaster?

In a roller coaster, the centripetal force is responsible for keeping the cars on the track as they move around curves and loops. Without this force, the cars would continue moving in a straight line and fly off the track.

What factors affect the centripetal force of a roller coaster car?

The centripetal force of a roller coaster car is affected by the speed of the car, the radius of the curve or loop, and the mass of the car. The faster the car goes, the larger the force needed to keep it on the track. A smaller radius or heavier car also requires a larger centripetal force.

How is the centripetal force of a roller coaster calculated?

The centripetal force of a roller coaster car can be calculated using the formula F=mv^2/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the car, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the curve or loop.

What happens if the centripetal force is too weak or too strong in a roller coaster?

If the centripetal force is too weak, the roller coaster car may not have enough force to stay on the track and could derail. If the centripetal force is too strong, the car may experience uncomfortable or even dangerous forces on the passengers, such as excessive g-forces.