Centripetal force of Earth orbiting the Sun

  • Thread starter Thread starter BoldKnight399
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Earth Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
BoldKnight399
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
Calculate the centripetal force exerted on the Earth by the Sun. Assume that the period of one revolution is 365.25 days. The average distance is 1.5X10^8 km and the Earth's mass is 6X10^24 kg.

ok so first I turned the time into seconds. Then I tried to find the velocity of the Earth using the equation:
Vt=2piR/T
so that became:
Vt=2pi(1.5X10^8km)/(31557600sec)
so the velocity was 29.86531 m/s
I then plugged it into the equation
Fcep=mVt^2/r
so F=(6X10^24)(29.86531)^2/(1.5X10^8)
F=3.5677X10^19

apparently that was the wrong answer. I was hoping that someone could see what I did wrong and help me out.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
BoldKnight399 said:
Calculate the centripetal force exerted on the Earth by the Sun. Assume that the period of one revolution is 365.25 days. The average distance is 1.5X10^8 km and the Earth's mass is 6X10^24 kg.

ok so first I turned the time into seconds. Then I tried to find the velocity of the Earth using the equation:
Vt=2piR/T
so that became:
Vt=2pi(1.5X10^8km)/(31557600sec)

In the next line did you convert km to m?