Energy of Earth Orbiting Around the Sun

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
Ishaan S
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The Earth's distance from the sun varies from 1.471 x 108 km to 1.521 x 108 km during the year. Determine the difference in (a) the potential energy, (b) the earth's kinetic energy, and (c) the total energy between these extreme points. Take the sun to be at rest.

Homework Equations


FGrav = (GMm)/r2

U = integral(a→b)(GMm/r2)dr

KE = .5mv2

Law of the Conservation of energy: Ei = Ef

ac = v2 / r

The Attempt at a Solution



I got (a) easily. I need help with b and c, though.

I tried taking the average distance from the sun, which is just the length of the semi-major axis, which is

1.521 x 108 km - 1.471 x 108 km = 5.00 x 109 m = rave

Then I used the centripetal acceleration formula to get

Fa = FG = (GMsun / (rave)2) = (v2)ave/rave.

Solving for vave I get

vave = 2.7 x 1010 m/s.

I then calculated average kinetic energy to be

.5 * mearth * (vave)2 = 2.1 * 1045 J.
Average gravitational energy would be

-GMm/rave = -1.6 * 1035 J.

Average total energy would be average kinetic + average potential.

Since energy is constant the average energy is constant for instantaneous energy.

Therefore, at perihelion and aphelion, I would have average total energy - potential energy at the point, correct?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ishaan S said:

Homework Statement


The Earth's distance from the sun varies from 1.471 x 108 km to 1.521 x 108 km during the year. Determine the difference in (a) the potential energy, (b) the earth's kinetic energy, and (c) the total energy between these extreme points. Take the sun to be at rest.

Homework Equations


FGrav = (GMm)/r2

U = integral(a→b)(GMm/r2)dr

KE = .5mv2

Law of the Conservation of energy: Ei = Ef

ac = v2 / r

The Attempt at a Solution



I got (a) easily. I need help with b and c, though.

I tried taking the average distance from the sun, which is just the length of the semi-major axis, which is

1.521 x 108 km - 1.471 x 108 km = 5.00 x 109 m = rave

This calculation makes no sense. How can you subtract two positive numbers and have the difference be greater than either number?

Also, it's not even how you calculate an average distance.

Then I used the centripetal acceleration formula to get

Fa = FG = (GMsun / (rave)2) = (v2)ave/rave.

Solving for vave I get

vave = 2.7 x 1010 m/s.

Really? What's the speed of light in a vacuum? Do you have the Earth going faster or slower than light itself?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light

I then calculated average kinetic energy to be

.5 * mearth * (vave)2 = 2.1 * 1045 J.
Average gravitational energy would be

-GMm/rave = -1.6 * 1035 J.

Average total energy would be average kinetic + average potential.

Since energy is constant the average energy is constant for instantaneous energy.

Therefore, at perihelion and aphelion, I would have average total energy - potential energy at the point, correct?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Correct your mistakes as pointed out above.
 
OK.

The mean distance is (1.521*108 km + 1.471*108 km)/2 = 1.496*108 km = 1.496*1011 m.

Then the average velocity comes from the centripetal acceleration formula:

Fa = FG = GM/(rave)2 = (vave)2 / rave

Solve for vave

vave = 30,000 m/s.

So average KE = ,5mvave2 = 2.7*1033 J.

Average potential energy is

-GMm/rave = -5.3 * 1033 J.

So total energy is U + KE = -2.7*1033 J.

So at perihelion the KE would be

Etotal - (-GMm/rclosest distance) = 2.8*1033 J.

At aphelion the KE would be

Etotal - (-GMm/rfar distance) = 2.6*1033 J.

Is this correct?
 
I do not understand how an 'average' distance could be helpful in answering the question. Just find the PE and KE at the given extremes.
Further, it is not clear what would be meant by an average distance from the sun. Taking the average of the two extreme distances is unlikely to produce anything useful. An integral would make more sense, but even then there are choices to be made. You could take an average over time, or an average over theta, etc.