Period of a planet orbiting the Sun

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
Jon.G
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A planet P orbiting the Sun S is acted upon by a force F= -(mu*r)/r3 (itex won't work here for some reason :S ) per unit mass where [itex]\mu[/itex] is a positive constant and r is the vector [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{SP}[/itex]
If the orbit of the planet is a circle of radius a, show that the period of the planet is [itex]\frac{2\pi a^{3/2}}{\mu ^{1/2}}[/itex]


The Earth and Mercury are orbiting the Sun.
The Earth is at a mean distance of approximately [itex]1.5 * 10^{8}[/itex] km from the Sun and Mercury at approximately [itex]5.8 * 10^{7}[/itex] km.
Given that the Earth's period is about 365.25 days, find the period of Mercury.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Erm... I really am not sure what to do.
I thought It would have something to do with centripetal force, and using [itex]ω=\frac{2\pi}{t}[/itex] but I can't see how to use that to get the answer :S

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jon.G! :wink:
Jon.G said:
I thought It would have something to do with centripetal force, and using [itex]ω=\frac{2\pi}{t}[/itex] …

Yes.

Write out F = ma … what do you get? :smile:​
 
[itex]\sum F=ma[/itex]

Forces acting on P are
[itex]F=\frac{-\mu <b>r</b>}{r^{3}}[/itex] and
[itex]F=mrω^{2}[/itex] right?

So would I go to
[itex]ma=mrω^{2} - \frac{\mu <b>r</b>}{r^{3}}[/itex] ?

I can't really see where to go the m confuses me a bit.

Although I just realized that the question states [itex]F= - \frac{\mu <b>r</b>}{r^{3}} <b>per unit mass</b>[/itex] so would I be correct in thinking that I need to multiply this term by the mass (to get the force is N and not N kg-1?

And then the mass could be canceled out?
 
Jon.G said:
Although I just realized that the question states [itex]F= - \frac{\mu <b>r</b>}{r^{3}} <b>per unit mass</b>[/itex] so would I be correct in thinking that I need to multiply this term by the mass (to get the force is N and not N kg-1?

And then the mass could be canceled out?

yup! :biggrin:
 
Alright I think I'm getting somewhere now.

If I have
[itex]mrω^{2} = \frac{- \mu <b>r</b>m}{r^{3}}[/itex]
then the m cancels, and an r
[itex]ω^{2} = \frac{- \mu <b>r</b>}{r^{2}}[/itex]
so...
[itex]T = \frac{2\pi r}{\mu^{1/2}<b>r</b>^{1/2}}[/itex]



What I'm struggling to get my head around now is the r
I just don't know how to work with it
 
Also, any hints as to what I'm doing wrong with itex? Then I can actually make this posts legible :S
 
Jon.G said:
Alright I think I'm getting somewhere now.

If I have
[itex]mrω^{2} = \frac{- \mu r]m}{r^{3}}[/itex]
then the m cancels, and an r
[itex]ω^{2} = \frac{- \mu r}{r^{2}}[/itex]

no, you've canceled r's wrong

(and itex doesn't like your bold tags :wink:)
 
Of course argh :S

[itex]ω^{2} = \frac{\mu R}{r^{4}}[/itex]

Still not sure how to work the vector though.
If the orbit is a circle then wouldn't R be equal to the radius?
But I can't just treat it as a scalar.
 
Jon.G said:
Still not sure how to work the vector though.

oh i see … you're worried about r being a vector

it doesn't matter, just use the magnitudes of the vectors :smile:
 
Well that makes things easier :D
Thanks

For the second part could I not just substitute in the value to find [itex]\mu[/itex] and then find Mercury's time period?

(Even if this is the way, thanks Ronaldo95163. Always good to know of other ways to work through problems :smile: )
 
Jon.G said:
For the second part could I not just substitute in the value to find [itex]\mu[/itex] and then find Mercury's time period?

use dimensions (ie what is T proportional to?) :smile:
 
Jon.G said:
Of course argh :S

[itex]ω^{2} = \frac{\mu R}{r^{4}}[/itex]

Still not sure how to work the vector though.
If the orbit is a circle then wouldn't R be equal to the radius?
But I can't just treat it as a scalar.

In vector form, your two equations should read:

[tex]\vec{F}=\frac{-m\mu \vec{r}}{r^{3}}[/tex] and
[tex]\vec{F}=m\vec{a}=-m\vec{r}ω^{2}[/tex]
So:[tex]\frac{-m\mu \vec{r}}{r^{3}}=-m\vec{r}ω^{2}[/tex] and
[tex]\frac{\mu }{r^{3}}=ω^{2}[/tex]

Chet