Centripetal Force and Earth's Rotation

In summary, the plumb bob does not hang exactly along a line directed to the center of the Earth's rotation. How much does the plumb bob deviate from a radial line at 35 degrees north latitude? Assume the Earth is spherical.
hoodie
"A plumb bob does not hang exactly along a line directed to the centre of the Earth's rotation. How much does the plumb bob deviate from a radial line at 35 degrees north latitude? Assume the Earth is spherical."

I found the radius of the Earth and rotational velocity at the equator via Wikipedia and plugged them into centripetal acceleration = v^2/r. That's pretty much as far as I got and I'm not even sure if that is right.

I'm having a lot of trouble visualizing this problem. I assume that it has something to do with dividing the tension in the string into components but I can't for the life of me figure out what goes where. Any suggestions?

By the by, I have no idea how to work with radians or frames. Please explain in basic terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's much easier to solve this problem if you consider it from the perspective of someone on the Earth. The guy at 35 degrees latitude feels as if he was on a spinning circle with the same radius as his circle of latitude. That is, he feels gravity acting towards the center of the Earth as well as a centrifugal force pushing away from the center of the latitude circle. If you can find the (vectorial) sum of these two forces and determine the angle between the resultant and gravity, that's the answer to the question.

And is there an alternate way to solve the problem, without using centrifugal force?

Yes. It's possible to use centripetal force.
The bob is moving in a circle of radius r.
You need to calculate this first from the radius of the Earth and the 35 degree latitude.
Draw a diagram showing the pendulum bob hanging to one side (right, say) at an angle x. (This is your unknown)
In order for the bob to move in a circle, it must have a resultant centripetal force on it (mv squared divided by r).
The only two "real" forces acting to produce the centripetal force are
a) the weight of the bob, mg, vertically downwards
b) the tension in the string, T, upwards at the angle x to the vertical.
Thus, the centripetal force equals the vector sum of T and mg.
The direction of this resultant force is downwards at 35 deg to the vertical.
The vector diagram is tricky at first but helps a lot with solving this.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular path, keeping an object moving along that path. It is necessary for circular motion to occur.

2. How does centripetal force relate to Earth's rotation?

The rotation of the Earth creates a centrifugal force that pulls objects away from the center of the Earth. Centripetal force counteracts this, keeping objects on the Earth's surface in orbit around the center of the Earth.

3. How does the Coriolis effect relate to centripetal force?

The Coriolis effect is a result of the Earth's rotation, which causes objects to appear to curve as they move across the Earth's surface. This is due to the combination of the Earth's rotation and the force of gravity, which creates a centripetal force.

4. Does centripetal force affect the length of a day on Earth?

Yes, centripetal force does have an impact on the length of a day on Earth. As the Earth's rotation slows down due to the effects of centripetal force, the length of a day increases slightly over time.

5. Can centripetal force be seen or measured on Earth?

Yes, centripetal force can be seen and measured on Earth. For example, amusement park rides that involve circular motion rely on centripetal force to keep riders safely in their seats. Additionally, scientists can measure the Earth's rotation and the forces acting on it using specialized equipment and calculations.