1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripital Acceleration/G-Force question

1. May 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A plane is in a dive. At the bottom of the dive is the maximum acceleration on the pilot. This part of the dive can be approximated by a circular path. If the centripetal acceleration on the pilot is 7.50 times g (=9.81 m/s2), what is the force felt by the pilot if her mass is 49.0 kg.

2. Relevant equations

Is it this simple?

F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

F = (49kg)*(7.5*9.8m/s^2) = 3601.5N

According to the online answer checker, it's not correct. I guess I'm missing something. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Inside the plane the pilot will experience centrifugal acceleration which is opposite to the centripetal acceleration. So the total acceleration on the pilot will be 7.5g + g.

4. May 7, 2009 #3
    Of course! Now I feel kinda stupid. At one point in my thinking, I remember contemplating that, but for some reason it got lost. Oh well; you win some, you lose some.

Thanks for your help.

5. May 8, 2009 #4
    BS:mad:
    (Although as Einstein noted, the acceleration of a free object
    relative to the cockpit would indeed be 8.5g)

Amelia Ehrhart's acceleration is 7.5g upwards.
    Gravity exerts a force mg downwards.
    Applying Newton's second Law, the force exerted on
    her backside is mg + 7.5mg straight up.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook