Centroid of homogeneous lamina region R and the factor of "1/2"

• I
  • Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date

Summary:

I found the formulas in two different sources for y-coordinate of center of gravity for a homogeneous lamina differ from each other by a factor "1/2".
Hi,

In one of the standard calculus textbooks, source #1, the formula for y-coordinate of center of gravity for a homogeneous lamina is given as follows.

?hash=f2d1f9b2061ada94c12949155edcf0e6.jpg

In another book of formulas, source #2, the formula is given without the factor "1/2" as is shown below. Personally, I believe that source #1 is correct. I just wanted to confirm so that I could notify the publisher of source #2 of erratum. Could you please help me with it? Thank you!

?hash=f2d1f9b2061ada94c12949155edcf0e6.jpg

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Hi,

Could someone please comment on it? Thank you!

pasmith
Homework Helper
If you start with the area integral for the centroid of the region bounded by [itex]x = a[/itex], [itex]x = b[/itex], [itex]y = 0[/itex] and [itex]y = f(x)[/itex] you get [tex]
\bar y = \frac{\int_A y\,dA}{\int_A\,dA} = \frac{\int_a^b \int_0^{f(x)} y\,dy\,dx}{\int_a^b \int_0^{f(x)}\,dy\,dx} = \frac{\int_a^b \left[ \frac12 y^2 \right]_0^{f(x)}\,dx}{\int_a^b \left[y\right]_0^{f(x)}\,dx}
= \frac{\int_a^b \frac12 (f(x))^2\,dx}{\int_a^b f(x)\,dx}[/tex] as stated.

Likes PainterGuy
Thank you!

So, the factor of "1/2" should be there. I will let the publisher of source #2 that there is an erratum. Thanks.

pasmith
Homework Helper
Thank you!

So, the factor of "1/2" should be there. I will let the publisher of source #2 that there is an erratum. Thanks.
The formula given in source #2 is the correct formula: by definition [itex]\bar y = \frac1A \int_A y\,dA[/itex].

The error in source #2 is not adequately explaining how to calculate it. It's only a coincidence that setting [itex]dA = f(x)\,dx[/itex] gives the correct answer for [itex]\int x\,dA[/itex]; doing the same for [itex]\int y\,dA[/itex] does indeed result in the answer being out by a factor of two. I don't think setting [itex]dA = g(y)\,dy[/itex] assists; after all, what is [itex]g[/itex] if [itex]f[/itex] is not strictly monotonic?

Likes PainterGuy