Centroid of homogeneous lamina region R and the factor of "1/2"

In summary, there is a discrepancy between the formula for the y-coordinate of the center of gravity in two different sources. Source #1 gives the formula with a factor of 1/2, while source #2 does not include this factor. After discussing the issue, it has been determined that the correct formula is the one given in source #2, but it is not clearly explained how to calculate it. The publisher of source #2 will be notified of this erratum.
PainterGuy
TL;DR Summary
I found the formulas in two different sources for y-coordinate of center of gravity for a homogeneous lamina differ from each other by a factor "1/2".
Hi,

In one of the standard calculus textbooks, source #1, the formula for y-coordinate of center of gravity for a homogeneous lamina is given as follows.

?hash=f2d1f9b2061ada94c12949155edcf0e6.jpg

In another book of formulas, source #2, the formula is given without the factor "1/2" as is shown below. Personally, I believe that source #1 is correct. I just wanted to confirm so that I could notify the publisher of source #2 of erratum. Could you please help me with it? Thank you!

?hash=f2d1f9b2061ada94c12949155edcf0e6.jpg

Attachments

• centroid_2.jpg
    centroid_2.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 443
  • centroid_1.jpg
    centroid_1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 280
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Could someone please comment on it? Thank you!

If you start with the area integral for the centroid of the region bounded by [itex]x = a[/itex], [itex]x = b[/itex], [itex]y = 0[/itex] and [itex]y = f(x)[/itex] you get [tex]
\bar y = \frac{\int_A y\,dA}{\int_A\,dA} = \frac{\int_a^b \int_0^{f(x)} y\,dy\,dx}{\int_a^b \int_0^{f(x)}\,dy\,dx} = \frac{\int_a^b \left[ \frac12 y^2 \right]_0^{f(x)}\,dx}{\int_a^b \left[y\right]_0^{f(x)}\,dx}
= \frac{\int_a^b \frac12 (f(x))^2\,dx}{\int_a^b f(x)\,dx}[/tex] as stated.

Likes PainterGuy
Thank you!

So, the factor of "1/2" should be there. I will let the publisher of source #2 that there is an erratum. Thanks.

PainterGuy said:
Thank you!

So, the factor of "1/2" should be there. I will let the publisher of source #2 that there is an erratum. Thanks.

The formula given in source #2 is the correct formula: by definition [itex]\bar y = \frac1A \int_A y\,dA[/itex].

The error in source #2 is not adequately explaining how to calculate it. It's only a coincidence that setting [itex]dA = f(x)\,dx[/itex] gives the correct answer for [itex]\int x\,dA[/itex]; doing the same for [itex]\int y\,dA[/itex] does indeed result in the answer being out by a factor of two. I don't think setting [itex]dA = g(y)\,dy[/itex] assists; after all, what is [itex]g[/itex] if [itex]f[/itex] is not strictly monotonic?

Likes PainterGuy

1. What is the definition of the centroid of a homogeneous lamina region?

The centroid of a homogeneous lamina region is the point at which the entire weight of the lamina can be considered to act. It is the center of mass of the lamina and is determined by the distribution of its mass.

2. How is the centroid of a homogeneous lamina region calculated?

The centroid of a homogeneous lamina region can be calculated by finding the average of the x and y coordinates of all the points that make up the lamina. This can be done using the formula x̅ = (1/A)∫x dA and y̅ = (1/A)∫y dA, where A is the area of the lamina and x and y are the coordinates of each point.

3. What is the significance of the factor of 1/2 in the centroid formula?

The factor of 1/2 in the centroid formula is used when calculating the centroid of a lamina with a uniform density. It represents the ratio of the area of the lamina above the x-axis to the total area of the lamina. This factor ensures that the centroid is correctly located within the lamina.

4. How does the centroid of a homogeneous lamina region affect its stability?

The location of the centroid of a homogeneous lamina region affects its stability. If the centroid is located near the base of the lamina, it will be more stable and less likely to tip over. However, if the centroid is located towards the top of the lamina, it will be less stable and more likely to tip over.

5. Can the centroid of a homogeneous lamina region be located outside of the lamina?

No, the centroid of a homogeneous lamina region must always be located within the boundaries of the lamina. This is because the centroid represents the center of mass of the lamina, and all of its weight must be contained within the lamina.